Anyone use GPS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crzymow, Jan 21, 2006.

1. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Has anyone or does anyone use a GPS for measuring large commercial properties?

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This has been discussed in the past, andthe problem is they're not exact enough, at least none of the reasonably priced ones.

If you're going REAL high end, the cost doesn't justify just pushing a measuring wheel. You pretty much have to walk a large part of the property anyways.

3. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

What price range would a good unit be? I was just thinking about looking into GPS for this exact purpose. A couple years ago I remember talking to a lady at the local community collge. She was taking a class about using GPS for agriculture uses. She had a GPS that atached to her PDA, it was very compact. I think she said she had like $800 invested total and she seemed pleased with the results. I specificly asked her about measuring lawns and she said it would work fine for that. $800 may seem high to some for measuring lawns but it may be worth it in time saved and acurate measurements in odd shaped lawns which I seem to come across frequently. I should also mention that the reason I need accurate measurement is for chem apps not so much for mowing.

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'd never thought of using my GPS unit to figure the size of properties, but suppose it would work, at least with larger properties where a rough estimate is all that is needed. The consumer models are probably not accurate enough for smaller properties.

However, Santa brought me a laser rangefinder for Christmas. Its primary use will be for turkey hunting, but I'm also anxious to use it when bidding properties. Mine is a Nikon, with a useable range of from 10 to 440 yards, with 1/2 yard accuracy. These, and similar models, are priced in the $200 range, but as with most electronics, the price is gradually dropping.

5. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Nope. I only use it for hunting and four-wheeling. I've never even thought of using it for job sites or anything like that.:cool: