1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone use Hooklifts on a daily basis??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cuttin-to-the-Max, Jul 29, 2011.

1. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

thinking about adding a hooklift to the fleet...
    Anyone use them in the landscaping biz???
    Maybe its my bad estimating skills but somehow i manage to bring too much mulch to a site....because what i do is dump the mulch then leave the guys. I hate wasting time reloading mulch in the truck that me didnt need. But also like the ground level loading deal...

Anyone use these containers and hook/lift. bodies
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It might be cheaper to buy a trailer just for mulch, then when you get to the site just unhook, voila.
    Just have to make sure to set wheel chocks so it doesn't roll off.
    Now if they don't use all the mulch it's still on the trailer, hook it back up, off to the next site.
  3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Either do what Topsites said, or get a dump truck like everybody else and work out of the back of that.
  4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

What other bodies would u get for it? I know a few guys on here run them
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Up here I've seen a few medium duty trucks with a contractors dump body as a roll-off. I've also seen them with V-box salt spreaders for easy swap out in the fall going into the winter.

6. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

they're very expensive. $12-20k. Dump trailer seems like a better investment

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

To the people who don't own them they seem like a waste of money, to those of us who have made the investment and own them they were the best investment and not sure how we could do without.

That being said here is my SNG with custom made "dump" body that has a beaver tail and the passenger side folds down. Allows me to put my equipment in the body and go to a site without a trailer. Also have 2 17 yard drop boxes. Great investment and in the 6 months I have had it has already paid for itself .

Its not for everyone just anyone who wants to be efficient.

Check out the switch and go as well. We use one and seems to have a less steep angle for pick up it helps not letting materials fall to back of container.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I assume you got the hyd version for the 650 there? We have a sng for our lcf and love the body system I wish we had triedit sooner on our f750. Im seriously kicking the idea of pulling our dump body offthe 750 and putting a sng on it. Just havent had time to price things.