Anyone use just a bp sprayer just starting out?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spcfoor, May 14, 2005.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if anyone here has started with just a backpack sprayer. Then upgraded to a tank and hose configuration.
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

ditto, and a chest spreader.
  4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I started with. Eventually that will become a pain and you will look for something more productive. The application side of my business is still not very large, so a 50 gallon skid sprayer is sufficient. The time will come when I decide to get something else, i.e. larger tank, ride on, etc.

If you can get by with it, then use it. When you feel the need for something else and can justify the expense, get something that will work for your business.
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I use a BP sprayer now and spray my broadleaf herb. at 1 gal/1,000 with good results. I will be getting a 25 gallon nurse tank to haul water in. The spray rigs are nice, but a pita to fill, store, etc. In some states it puts you in another class as well I believe, as far as having a loading area, etc.
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got something easier for you. Buy 5 of the 5 gallon plastic gas cans at home depot and fill with water. Easy to use.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I started with a BP sprayer but immediately found out that I wasn't competitive and I was actually losing business because of it. Once you begin to have to treat bigger lawns you will need to become more precise as well as faster in order to survive and make a profit.
    I built a sprayer for my Walker and I can treat a 4000 sq.ft. lawn as well as 3 acres. I have a 35 gal tank that nets me about 50,000 sq ft per fill. I also have a 100 gal nurse tank in the pickup bed. The nurse tank is clean water only and the chemical is securely stored and then site mixed in small quantitys.
    My fert and pest business has steadily grown year to year because I can handle any property as fast or faster than a guy pulling 200+ feet of hose. I set my self apart by using premium products (Speedzone) and charging accordingly. My BP sprayer is good for spot treatments or in a rare case to spray a yard that has a small gate where the Walker can't make it thru (1 yard).
    Become inventive and don't discount the benefit of being able to service a wider market. Apps are competitive and you have to find your place in order to make money but a backpack will only get you so far. You are spending the money on a license, insurance, schooling so you might as well get your moneys worth. Good Luck.
  8. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Mow Ed,
    I put a 25 gallon sprayer on my Z and I can get about 32m out of a fill, so I'm with ya on that one. It has a wand on it, too, for hand spraying, so I took a 50' length of clear hose with braided pvc and put it on there and that has helped a lot in instances where I can't get the mower.
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I started out with backpacks. It sucks having to always re-fill the backpacks for 2,4-D applications. This spring, I finally broke down and purchased a 50 gallon spray rig from Lesco.

I am finding that as I get older I am noticing one thing: Whenever I try to be cheap, I always pay for the cheap method, find it isn't suitable and then pay for the expensive method too. That's exactly what happened here.

Since I've made the purchase, the applications business has really started to be a profit maker. With backpacks, I dreaded the calls in the spring with lawns that were over-run with henbit. Now I look forward to them. A good sized lawn would easily be a 45 minute stop by the time a filled the backpack three or four times and pushed the spreader. Now, we can do the same property in 12 minutes.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking at the Lesco 50 gallon spray rig last week. It looks good but was $2200+_ for it and then you had to buy a sprayer and I think other items.
    Have you had any problems with it? What don't you like about it?

What does getting a 50 gal spray rig got to do with the business taking off.
    Did you start marketing differently the same time you got the rig?