1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone use mini storage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stringblade, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

im moving into a new house the only problem is no driveway no where to park the trailer do any of you use a mini storage garage? if so does it work out ok for you?
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You mean at a rental storage facility or like an ocean container dropped off?
  3. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I use a mini storage place and works out great. I too have no where for my stuff. But the mini storage is about 1/2 mile away and has electric. I have a 10x30 unit which is pretty cheap with outside parking spot too.
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked into a while back because my wife doesn't like my tralier parked in the driveway. Anyway, one place I looked offered outdoor space for $50 a month. Really good if you have an eclosed trailer. It was within the secure area on the lot. Or, I could get a 10'x15' storage space for $125 a month. Not bad, but I just couldn't afford it at the time( just starting out at the time). I might look into again this year.
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I am about maxed out on storage space. If I grow any more...which I plan to...I will have to go the storage route. From the research I've done, it will be a decent option. Alot of LCO's around here do it. However, for the long term...if I grow enough, it will be better to invest in my own property/shop/storage for my business.
  6. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

what size trailer do you put in a 10 by 30? they typically only come 10 wide?
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Just be sure to put the best lock on it you can buy! I rent a 10'x20' unit from a small local storage facility. Well, I had the smallest lock of all the units, so it was the one that was chosen by the filthy thief's. Got all my handheld stuff!

Everyone else around me had those big round locks. Mine was easy pickin's (or should I say easy cuttin's?). I now have a big round lock too, and will add a second one next time I go there.

This facility is small and family owned, and although they do have a family member living on site, there is no security gate.

Also try to find something close to home, because you'll grow to hate it if you have to drive any distance to get to it. The last unit I rented was a bit further away, and I grew to hate having to drive there for some small thing.
  8. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine tried that for a year with a 12x6 trailer. He ended up doing about $1200 to the doorframe. You proably shouldn't plan on keeping your trailer in there also unless you have a straight shot into it.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I recently decided to bite the bullet and rent a unit this year. In the past, I've stored everything in my parents garage. Not the best situation, but worked OK. Need more space for equipment, need my OWN space to do maintenance. Plus, my town is fairly strict with the rules (no trailers on street OR private property).

Despite the cost, I'm looking forward to having everything under one roof.

As far as parking the trailer in the unit, just back it up close to the door, unlatch it and roll it in. Helps if you rent a unit where its flat.
  10. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

Make sure if they have a security system it is working. Looked at a unit just built about year ago, someone broke into an enclosed trailer, security camera's were not working. Where I decided to store my trailer they have someone that lives on site. Infrared camera's inside and camera's on the road leading up the the unit. It is one big unit, they pull out and park my trailer for me. I know if some really wants in they will find a way, but there a lot more valuable items that they would want before mine.