1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use mycorriza(sp)?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by blafleur, Oct 3, 2004.

1. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I have been using mycorriza on my tree plantings the last couple of years. I was curious if anyone had any insight into this. The scientific research is convincing, but I was curious just how big a difference it makes. I have noticed a difference on flowers on experiments, but its harder to tell on larger plants.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ive used it before. Its really hard to tell of any differences without scientific testings....... I think it gives me a good piece of mind, especially on transplants.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we use microrhizae mainly when we do tree transplants. this past year we have been given a few japanese maples, so we balled em up and are currently trying to sell them. im convinced the microrhizzae is one reason why they survive and do so well.
  4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I use it........... Its like buying insurance. Havent had one tree die in two years.
    knock on wood.
  5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I also use it like insurance. Kind of one of those deals that it doesnt hurt, and may help, so why not. Sometimes I just like to see results, or at least hear from someone who is not a salesman be able to tell me the actual results he has noticed. I am guessing this stuff is not like fertilizer, you wont see obvious results, but maybe your long term replacement ratio may go down, and that would be good enough for me.

What I have seen though, I used Flowersaver by Planthealthcare on seasonal annuals, and it definately created a larger root mass on those that I changed out. The stuff is not cheap, but if really does work, its worth it.

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I've thought about this stuff quite a bit in the past but never got down to trying it. I also hear that it is supposed to help plants tolerate drought conditions better, somehow, but if I understand it correctly this stuff actually forms a beneficial symbiotic relationship with the host plant whereas it forms nitrogen nodules within the plants root zone.

First time I heard about this stuff, it sounded like witchcraft to me.
  7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not voodoo at all. It's the same principle that everything in the Fabaceae (legume) family uses. IIRC, some things in that family are honey locust, redbud, and catalpa, among others. The mycor is trying to promote the same thing in other plants. It definately won't hurt anything.

That being said, no, I've not used it but I think it's getting time to start looking at it a little more.:)

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If I remember correctly from my Plant Science days, all trees utilize this fungus to uptake water, nutrients from the soil. Without the presence of mychorrizae, the tree will die. During a transplant/new planting, this mycorr. is disturbed/shaken off the roots. Granular mychor. is added until the plant is able to pull some from the soil. As someone above said, it is a symbiotic relationship.
  9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

I've been using it for a few years, and it definitely reduces cases of transplant shock.

It also works well on trees that have had root loss/damage from new construction.