Anyone use PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Daren, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Anyone use PDA's? Im looking to buy one, help keep me organized. Im really bad about scribbling numbers, names, etc. down on pieces of paper and misplacing them. Want one that will keep my appointments and keep up with all of my customers. Have looked at some of the Palm Pilots. But do not know which one would be the best. Dont want to spend a large amount on one! Any reccommendations?

Daren

2. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

Heard the new visor (edge) from handspring is great! I'm looking at getting one myself the metallic color looks nice. $399 U.S with free shipping. http://www.handspring.com

3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking into the Palm IIIc. It has a color screen and a lithium battery. And the things it can do....COOL!

I know this doesnt help, sorry.

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one off eBay for $130.00, works great (winCE, 8meg with a 16meg card), has my contacts, spec lists for equipment ( motors, carbs, etc.), along with a spreadsheet for one-the-spot quotes. I couldn't see buying an expensive one to get beat up, also the guys here say that it's hard to see the color screen in the sun...

5. Back in my day (b/4 calculators) we used slide rules.

When we droped the slide rule on a concrete floor we just put the slide rule back into our geek like pocket protector.

6. capital

capital LawnSite Member

I use a visor and so does are operations manager. We enter are notes through out the day and then download them into the computer at the end of the day. This allows us to check one anothers appointments. Now when we have a client on the phone we don't have to call them back regarding when we can meet with them. We both know the other ones schedule and update it. Its also nice in that I was able to throw away all those business cards from vendors as we put them in or download them from our computer. Also, we are finding it nice that alot of new clients/prospects see these and ask us to "beam" our business card to them and vice versa. "they are now in are data base."

7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

how do those electronic organizers help you?
    i use a small pocket style book and its easy.i like the looks but i am not a electronic type of guy....
    how do they help you?
    anthony

8. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I recently bought the Compaq ipaq pocket pc. I love it! Used to keep evrything stored im my head or in a notebook, but this has really helped me get organized to the max. It comes with versions of MS word and excel, media player and some other nice features.

9. Comp USA has a 2 year 'breakage plan'. Break it and they replace, no questions asked. B-4 contract is up you drop it from the top of the stairwell or out the window of the Silverado (doing the speed limit of course), pick up pieces, and take er back to get new PDA.

Love my new Palm IIIxe. They have new ones w. 16 meg cards, come with Docs-to-Go, so Excel spread sheets not a prob. Download Excel invioce template from MSN templates. Input data in field, and sync to home computer. Easy way to do invoicing. I go with Palm as they dominate with there OS software so far. Most other PDAs use there Palm OS system.

For alternates its hard to choose one thats inexpensive but I would consider Visor.

The Sony, or HP Jornada cool too but costs same as Palm.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, Kevin

10. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

Blackberry 8830