1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use PDA's here?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, May 16, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just wondering how suseptable they are to dust from mowing. I just bought a new one ($500) and the bottom sync slit is open to the elements. I bought one of these ROOTS leather belt clips for protection but even it has a hole at the bottom where that sync slit is.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Palm for many functions, but it always stays in my briefcase in the truck. I see no reason to take it with me while working.
  3. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using one for 3 years. I'm on my second one it stays in the truck most of the time in the summer grass,dust will get in the truck never have had any problem with dust or anything else it is in a case.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 cells, one is a XV6700 with the slide out keyboard and about 4 open ports. If I am in the field the phones stay in the truck.
    1st I am never away from the truck or car more than a half hour- But more important, I have cell phones for my convenience, not anybody else's. (read that I am not a slave to the phone)
  5. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

I was actually just thinking today that I may try a PDA. My wife has one that she never uses and I think I could use it for my scheduling. Lawn care is my part time job and with my full time job everything gets bery hecktic. Never thought about the dust though. Guess I will leave it in the truck. It would be nice though just to have it with you so you can look quick and tell a customer when you can do their job. Guess I will play it by ear.
  6. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

I have one its a Dell Axim X50v pretty nice they only run about $424 is what mine was but has 3 year warranty I think. The x51v is out now. So many programs for them pocket excel, lots of landscaping/lawncare stuff.

BERTPCP LawnSite Member

I also use the Dell axim x50 great pda.. I keep it in the truck, no problems had it for over a year now. I also have the gps kit with it, great for estimates, no directions needed just addresses. :cool2:
  8. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I got. Its so nice, especially since I was using a Z22. But its SO nice I'm scared to use it, lol.

I need to use a PDA becuase I answer the phone for window cleaning as well as lawns and I need to know what I'm doing so I can make an appointment for the ppl on the spot, then I sync with outlook on my PC.
  9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use a PDA, but found a pad and paper works faster for me to write stuff down on. putting it in on a pda just isnt logical for me, so I use the traditional style still.
  10. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Yeah I love mine if your paranoid invest in a Rhino Skin Aluminum or Titanum hard case. Dell is cheaper I think but here is Rhino's Official Site http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoskin/?brand=34&model=192 it works great, I have the Aluminum one ,but go with whatever you can afford. The stock cases aren't the greatest