Anyone use Rainbird SST-outdoor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I have been installing the Hunter Pro-C for the last few years since I figured it simpler to program than the Rainbird ESP 's. But several customers cannot get the Pro-C figured out and probably never will. So I replaced a Pro-C with a rainbird sst on some customers. I know this is not a professional grade model but at least the homeowner can operate it. I plan on using it on the right customers. The STP model is listed under the professional products but it does not have an outdoor model with a cabinet and looks cheap.

The only problem with the SST is the WR-2 rain sensor will not hook up to it without using an outside transformer. I tried looking for the 24V wire but did not want to tear up anything by pulling off the faceplate. Anyone ever give these a look? Any suggestions on hooking up the WR-2 without using an outside transformer?

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I've contemplated this myself for these controllers and others as we install wireless rain sensors out the ying yang.

A dedicated transformer for the sensor sounds like a good idea to me- alas not to my boss. Whenever we come across these kind of controllers we suggest a hard wired sensor

Shame on you for installing them!

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Install the Pro-C and lock the cover and keep the keys

4. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I replaced one recently where the umbdass installer connected the wireless rain sensor receiver to the 110 going into the controller. Burned up the inside of the receiver pretty good.
    I'd rather use a Pro-C than the SST, but if the homeowner likes the SST more let 'em have it. :hammerhead:

5. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I've got nothing against hard wired sensors but in many cases it is not practical to run the wire to where the sensor needs to be mounted.

I would rather not use these contollers but if the customer cannot operate anything else you gotta do what works. The SST outdoor is really not a bad looking unit. The indoor models without a cabinet look cheap however.

6. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

The settings would need to be adjusted according to weather patterns and it would be impossible to run around and set the controllers myself even if I charged for such a service.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

So install the Solar Sync with it?

8. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I tried the solar sync and was very disapointed. I guess I disagree with smart controls that adjust run times vs frequency. Although I know most of the less expensive ones work this way.

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the ESP is easier on older folks and most folks in general. The Hunter Xcore is really hard to see for them. I have had two XC clocks that have froze up this year and have had to hit the reset button.

I have seen an SST once, I think the guy bought it at Lowes and he had no problem figuring it out on his own.

I wish they still made the rainbird rc clocks. I have a few running that must be 20 years old.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

it is too bad, cus the pro c is the best controller imo. the fewest issues i have seen overall, and the most versitile and easy to use .