anyone use ramps?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 30, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

anyone use aluminum ramps, to get a mower on and off a truck. i mean like, on a regular basis, 15-20 times a day. i havn't tried this, but i fear it may be a safety hazard. anyone do it like this? any accidents?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I will for this year. I'm putting a false bottom on the floor of the truck so i can load a Turf Tracer 60" so i dont need a trailer.

If you try this with a rider, i would recommend you "Winch" the mower up and down so you don't kill yourself.

Using the correct ramps is vital to success to.

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

had a ramp give out on me while loading my old troy-built rider that i started with. a 4wd truck doesn't look too high until you and a rider fall off of it at the same time. bought my first trailer the next day. if i had to load into the back of a truch now, i would find a ditch to back into and load that way. the older i get, the fewer times i have to experience pain before i find a new way to do stuff.

4. John Gamba

from ct

Pain Sucks :cry:

5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

my buddy did it everyday last summer, never a problem. He used 10' wood planks whenever he used his trailer (trailer was 4' off the ground) and aluminum ramps for his truck.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Buy one of those cheap $199 trailors from TSC or wal-mart they cost less than good ramps are closer to the ground and work well if your not putting 1000 of miles a yr on one. & they can be towed by small little cars

7. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Hey, I saw a post by a guy "benshaift" or something like on another site, who did the same thing as your are thinking.
    Trying looking up that name, it may help.

8. John Gamba

from ct

Thats Doc Pete.:waving:

9. John Gamba

from ct

Mac!

What if you dont want to use a trailer?? I still have a trailer but i just dont want to use it.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i tried it a couple of times, was a bit scary form me... but i can certainly see the advantage of not using a trailor if you dont have too...