Anyone use Real green systems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I thought i posted this the other day, but cant find the thread.
    Anyway is it worth it?
    Are you happy?
  2. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

worth it? yes. Are we happy with it? Yes and no...... It is a great system, but it is not user friendly in my opinion. The biggest advantage with it is the scheduling and mapping. We looked at gopher and it i don't think would map. we had alocet, but the scheduling sucked. Real green is the real deal, but it has a learning curve for sure, and there are many things that you cannot do with, that you should be able to do with it.

would we buy it again....... yes, absolutely.
  3. tgnb

tgnb LawnSite Member

Absolutely and positively worth it!!!! Scheduling is cake, and the marketing capabilities are very nice and way cheaper than similar alternatives. This will be our fourth year with it and every year they come up with cool new features. I must say the company is incredibly responsive to customer feedback and suggestions. Some of the support guys are real pricks (two, in particular), but most of the crew there really do an awesome job and follow up very well. Overall, I'd give them an "A".
    Sedge, if you send them an email about what you want the system to do, they might take care of it. They've done that for us at least a half dozen times.
  4. humble1

from MA

what is the cost of that bad boy
  5. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm entering my second season with it. I like it... and I hate it. the program is super clunky. I hated it at 1st, and I've been warming up to it now.. please see my previous posts on other threads for details..

In a nutshell, It's expensive.. hard to use, and IT'S THE BEST THING ON THE MARKET... it supports almost anything you want to do, Does routing, call logging, and has marketing features that are awesome.. if you can figure out how to use them :) I can not imagine running a company with more than a couple hundred customers without this software.. and I demo'd ALL of the others last year.

Don't expect a highly polished product.. it's not microsoft. Do expect to pay out the nose.. it's practically impossible to have the software and not pay the $100 per month support fees.. which are not 24.7 and are not fast.. you place a call, then wait for them to call you back.. sometimes 24 hours later or more. You want software updates? you HAVE to pay the monthly support fee.. WHO makes a product, and then doesn't offer free bug fixes? especially when you pay like 7 grand for the initial product!

If you sign up for real green, you will have to chew your leg off to get out of the money trap.. you also have to buy their forms, and statement paper.. It's halfway reasonable.. but by no means cheap.

oh, and lets not forget that it comes in componants, and it CAN NOT do any routing, or worthwhile marketing without the mapping plug in.. which they'll sell you for thousonds.. and it's just a copy of microsoft mappoint.. Cheap bastards sent me an educational copy.. (cost them about $150.. and it's not even legal)

But again.. it's the best thing out there.. (wish I could afford to put together a programming team)

so.. I always like to say that it's like having to choose between John Kerry, and George Bush, when what you really want is reagan.
  6. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what about the service solutions software? when i talked to one of their reps it sounded like their software did the same and their customer service, updates, etc...were free.

what differences are there? what is number 2 to real green in your opinions?
  7. humble1

from MA

How much, price is a big reason i can buy realgreen systems 7 g doesnt sound to appealing
  8. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno about service solution.. The web site looks like they don't know how to program.... LOL and there are no pics of the software interface. not a good sign.

Believe me.. the 7g's hurts.. and the 1200 a year also hurts.. but anything else you buy will be getting replaced anyhow, because it won't do everything you want...

If I were you, I would use quickbooks, until you can budget at least 3 grand for software.. seriously.
  9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I looked into the service solutions a little...not much. When I was looking at it I noticed one of their customers, King Green (Atlanta,GA and Charlotte,NC) was posted on their site. That company was featured in a magazine article I read. They are a multi-million company so it seems to me they must be doing something right. I have no idea what the software package would run though.
  10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

we use real green's LA3 software. Been using it for a number of years (we paid around $4000 as I remember which included 3 days in house training) We do not pay the fees for updates and/or support. We are very familiar with the product at this point and dont see the need for support (we can call if needed and they charge a per minute rate) As far as updates....we are satisfied with our current version which was last updated somewhere around 2004.

I have used Practical Solutions long ago (I worked for another company that used it). It is very similar to real green as far as capabilities go. As I recall when I looked into them for my company the cost was a bit more than Real Green back then. But it is a good product.

Also check out EverGreen Software -
    If I were to do it all over again I'd be inclined to go with them.

Of the 3 I've listed Evergreen seems to have the best customer support (meaning you'll get help when you need it...not hours or even days later) It is also expensive. For a two user program expect to pay around $170 per month. This price includes software, support and updates for the internet based version.

Nothing gets me more aggravated than calling a software company that I do business with for a code they require me to fill in to renew my customers and they tell me on the phone that they are very busy this time of year and I'll need to wait till they decide they have the time to call back and give me a 6 digit code (real green requires a code to renew your customers from one year to the next, they say it is to protect you....I think it is really to give them another opportunity to sell you something extra or maybe they just like the 'power trip' they get from making you wait by your phone until they decide to call back, i dont know?)