Anyone use Scott's products?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cleve, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I have never used Scott's fertilizers. Now one of their local companies has contacted one of my customers and offered to do the yearly contract program. Seems the costs were around $6--700 annual without aeration or seeding.
    He would rather I do this for him using their stuff.
    I don't mind but have never used their products before. I do have some info from their website that indicates they have some products available only at "pro products distributors". Any idea who, what, where these are?
    Is their stuff as good as it costs?
    Any info welcome. Thanks.

Cleve....

2. KB

KB LawnSite Member

All I use in my own yard in Scotts and also with my customers who are willing to pay the extra cost. It is definately a better product than the others that I have used. "Sand like" granules that provide great coverage, slow release, lasts about 2 months, and does not burn up a lawn when it does not rain. Their weed preventive / killer fertilizers are great. I also found out about the "Pro" products last year. I am in NE Ga and found out that there was a dealer in Atlanta, one in Greenville, SC, and one in Blairesville, Ga who were closest to my area. I went to Greenville to buy a specialty Scotts pro fertilizer (with Siduron to prevent weeds / crabgrass but that allows seeding). I highly recommend the fertilizer

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Some of my customers expect it.I think Scotts
    does its homework pretty well.

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Scott's is good stuff.If customers will spring for the extra money I use it as my premium program. I make sure the customers knows it is Scott's as well, it's a good selling point.

5. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

the scott's fert you buy retail is not the same products the Scott's lawn service uses. the retail product is better. the Scott's service is using typical scu.

6. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

I agree with the above person that states go with Scott's its good products but if you have customers that are a little more picky, I make sure to let them know about some of the premium brands, I express the extra cost but you pay for what you get.

7. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I used Scott's for years on my own lawn before I got into the Lawn Care business. I always have had GREAT results. My grass was always the GREENEST in the HOOD. I now have a Scott's Pro Rotary Spreader that makes applications that much easier. I see that they came out with a new products called Scott's Pro Landscape Formula. I think I'm going to try this one this season.
    There are cheaper ones out there, and I have TRIED them all and still go back to the SCOTT'S. Cheapest is not always better. I'll stick with what works.
    Mowman

8. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Most of you wouldn't even think of using a homeowners model mower. So why use homeowners chemicals. They are just mass produced products designed to give instant green with poor time release. Ask how many golf course superintendants use Scott's. Try http://www.uhsonline.com/ or Wilbur ellis if you want professional turf managment supplies.