Anyone use service magic to send leads to you?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by andyslawncare, Aug 15, 2009.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was contacted by a Service Magic Sales Rep yesterday and everything they offer sounds good...You only pay per lead. I'm tired of fishing out the bad customers and seems like they do a pretty good job sending you only what you want to do...

Do any of you use them to send you leads? If so, how satisfied are you with the service? And is it worth the money?

Thanks!

2. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

OH man I would stay away from them. I once found a thread where even the homeowners were talking bad about them.
    Anyways you pay per lead even if you dont get the job. I hate paying for something not getting anything in return, kinda like OBAMA CARE!
    I cant stand their radio ads telling us it doesnt cost you the customer anything for a quote. Its because we the contractor pays for it.

Service Magic is the middle guy. I stay away from middle guys as much as possible.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Another question should be "has anyone used Service Magic to find a contractor"?

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I actually tried them.
    They sent me horrible leads.
    I got 8 leads from them and 6 of the leads had already contacted me through other advertising and they where all tire kickers.
    Every single customer verified over the telephone that they only wanted estimates and where not ready to start the projects anytime soon.Most where using the estimates against builders and developers to get money on new homes they purchased for build quality issues.
    I called Service Magic with the poor quality of the leads and they did not meet the requirements of there supposed stringent prescreening process.They would not refund my money.
    Life Lesson learned.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've answered this question dozens of times over the years here on Lawnsite. I think I can safely say I've been using Service Magic for longer than anyone on Lawnsite. Must be a good 8-10 years now we've been using them. Since before they were ServiceMagic, actually.

So I am not going to re-hash what I've already taken lots of time to post previously. You can do a search for that.

I will just add this to my previous comments; This year we've seen the leads from Service Magic come in a lot less frequently than in previous years. I think that's because the economy is so bad that a lot more contractors are using SM. So they only send leads to 3-4 contractors. I used to be one out of 5 or 6 contractors in my area who used them. So I'd get most leads that came in through them. Now, I bet we're probably one of 20 or more contractors in my area who use them. So we just get less leads in general than we ever had before.

Also, the quality of the leads continues to go down hill. And I've said this many times before - the quality of the lead REALLY depends on the type of lead. Some lead types almost always end up being bad leads (e.g. landscape installation) while others still produce decent leads, at least some times (e.g. irrigation repair leads and landscape maintenance leads). So we used to get like 10-15 different lead types from them and now I've cut that back to only 3 different categories.

I'll summarize my thoughts on SM this way; if you don't mind wading through some crappy leads (like 3-5 bad ones who will just waste your time) to finally come across a good one, then you may find SM to be of value to you. And if you don't mind paying 3-5 $15 lead fees just to get one good account that may stay with you for years, then again, you may find SM of value to you. If you're not prepared to go through that many leads or pay those kind of prices, then I would steer clear.

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

as far as sm for me it has been good. been with them 4 years & we sigh about 80% of the leads.you have to watch the type of leads you get & make sure their in your lead group. also make sure you don't have zip codes on their you don't service. & lastly make sure to call them as soon as the lead is sent to your cell phone.most of the time when i call a customer they are still on the website looking around, & go as soon as they want.BTW i'm the only one in my town on sm for lawn care. good luck

7. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

We have used ServiceMagic for several years also - mostly for landscape leads - and do pretty well with the leads we choose to pursue. We no longer need to increase residential mowing so don't ask for those leads any longer. When we get a lead that is not in our requested areas SM always gives us replacement lead credits. Some are junk leads but the better ones outnumber those in sufficient quantity to make it worth while.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

seriously considered it this past spring. Glad I didn't go with them. Didn't like the answers the salesmen were providing...things like not being able to turn off the leads for a few months, need to have minimum leads a month, etc.

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Huh??? I never had a problem doing any of those things. I turn off and on leads all the time. And I can set any budget I want each month. If I want to cap the leads at $50 a month, I can do that. You have full control over all that with the control panel they give you. I am not sure who you were talking to but in my experience, that's inaccurate.

10. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

I find that hard to understand...we also move our spend target up and down as needed - stop leads when I am out of the office or we are swamped and don't want new leads, they are very easy to work with.