Anyone use spraying as an extra.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by drsogr, Jan 10, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the deal. I do almost all landscaping. New Yard Installs, and plant installs. I come across quite a few people who need their yard fertilized, not to mention a few that need roundup before I sodded them.

I need to start either subcontracting out the roundup, or I need to get my applicator's license. Here is my dilemia. I only need to be able to roundup a handfull a year. It would be cheaper to subcontract it out. But, I was thinking if I added the service, then people looking for someone to fertilize their yard, I could quote them a price and have a good chance of getting it since I just landscaped their yard.

Does anyone do this. Can you make any money at fertilizing and the such with all of the costs involved, if you are only doing as a side item, and not agressively advertising it? I feel that I have enough going on in my small business already. But I am turning jobs down, that I could be getting, but at the same token, this may be a thorn in my side down the road, when I am working on a landscape project and have to go do a fertilization during the middle of it.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definately get your license, but I don't know the costs or testing procedures in KS. Look at it this way; you're already on the property and people are asking for additional services...Looks like a no-brainer. You could charge for a fert when you put sod down or after seeding to encourage root formation and growth. You could hit the plant installs with a foliar spray(fish, seaweed, humate, and tea for example) for the same reasons I mentioned for the turf, while also adding insecticides and fungicides...Lawn fertilization can be scheduled easily if only a handful. You should be able to do them all the same day if only a few, plus you won't be overwhelmed your first year....
    I think it will enhance your business while increasing revenue at the same time...

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you apply fert. only on the sod lawns you probably dont need a liscense. I have a landscaper in my area that subs all the chem. apps to me, and I send all of my customers that ask for landscaping, mowing, mulching and the things I dont do to him. this way we can both concentrate our efforts on the things that we specialize in! works good for both of us.

4. drsogr

There are a lot of factors involved. I really don't know which way to go. If I do it myself I

Won't have to deal with another subcontractor
    I will have a way to keep in contact with some of past customers, which would be good for referrals and more landscaping.
    I would make more money
    I will be looked at as more of a full service landscaper

If I subcontract it out.
    I won't have to spend the money for the licensing, advertising, and insurance
    I won't have to store or be exposed to all the chemicals.
    I won't have to maintain additional equipment
    I may get a referral fee...or some actual referrals

5. drsogr

Well I decided to get my license. I bought the insurance today, and got the books to start studying today. The test is tomorrow, I think I am going to have to wait until the next test. I underestimated how difficult this test is going to be. I have already learned a lot, by reading the first 20 pages talking about lawn diseases.