1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Square Up Credit Card reader?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetland, Jan 2, 2012.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Never charge a fee. Mastercard and Visa forbid it. raise your prices 5% and then give a 5% cash discount. On one hand Square is the best thing since sliced bread. On the other hand the one downfall is they are not PCI compliant and you could be liable for credit fraud(were talking upwards of 50,000 for a fine.) When they first came out they claimed to be compliant but now the rules have changed to include mobile devices and until they change how the information transfers from the device into the phone there not compliant. Better off going with a company that is linked through quickbooks or whatever software you use, then use Trustwave for 7.99 month they will make sure your compliant.
  2. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you know the customer the fraud thing shouldnt be a problem right? I could see that with a customer you don't kow, but one you've known for years, you would be able to se if the card is theirs or not, right?
  3. oomph

oomph LawnSite Member

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

go payment doesn't work with my atrix I would have to enter in every payment. Time to get another iphone :walking:
  5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I think what he's saying is if it's intercepted by say a third unknown party and they use the information it would make you liable since you're not secured. Not if someone just steals someones card.
  6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one, I mainly use it for one time payments when I am out mowing and someone wants me to mow their yard while I am in the subdivision. Using the card reader I don't have to wonder weather a check is good or not from a one time customer.
  7. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

Ah gotcha that makes sense.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Recent regulations change this. Look it up. You have to do it the same across all card brands though.
  9. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I got two Square readers... one for the truck and one for the car.

I did a test payment and a refund and it seemed to work perfect.

For those that have compared gopayment to square, what are the advantages of one vs. the other?

10. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Does this only work on an iphone? Is there a different one for a droid?