1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the Grasshopper mulching deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bassngrass, Mar 27, 2005.

1. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

I just bought the Grasshopper 327 with 60 inch deck. I had the dealer install the "mulch kit", instead of going with the bagging system ($210 vs. $2000). How well does the Grasshopper deck mulch?

Let me know what you think.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very well. The deck must me set up correctly though.
  3. bassngrass

How do I go about setting up the deck correctly? When the dealer delivers it to my house in a few days, should I make them do any test cuts? or any special adjustments. What should I know?
  4. PLM-1

Some say 1/8" - 1/4" slope forward. Mine is perfectly level. Just play around with it for a while. You'll get it! Have fun and enjoy! You got one hell of a mower!
  5. bassngrass

Thanks for the advice. I'll mow a few times with it and see how it does, then make adjustments as needed. Do you have any special blades you recommend for the Grasshopper? I mow Missouri Tall Fescue, very thick, manicured, and irrigated (3 acres).
  6. PLM-1

Depends what you are doing: mulching, bagging, discharging. I use the OEM notched highlift for everything but mulching. Then i either use the OEM mulchers or gator mulchers. BTW, I'm in Joplin.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Grasshopper dealer, and, owned several for my mowing business before I became a dealer. The deck comes from the factory with the correct pitch, and the dealer should check that before he delivers a machine to a customer. The deck does a real nice mulch job with the mulch kit AND the correct blades. Mulch blades come with the kit. Do not use hi lift blades of any knid with the mulch kit. You can use the Grasshopper, "Contour", blades, or the low/medium lift blades. One of those two styles come with the kit.
    The hilift blades will cause the deck to load up with grass to the point the machine will stall. They do not let the deck drop the mulched cuttings into the lawn. The other two types let some of the mulched clippings continually fall back in to the lawn surface.
    You can use Gator blades when mulching leaves if you want to turn them totally to dust. However, the blowout will place most of that dust on you. I never found it necessary to use anything but the two types of blades recommended.
  8. bassngrass

Thanks for the advice.

Still wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience with Grasshopper mulching.
  9. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Grasshopper and it mulches just fine. I didn't adjust the deck at all and it seemed to work perfectly. I just thumbed through the mulching kit manual and there was no illistrations or literature for adjusting deck pitch. Maybe PLM-1 has stumbled on to something that increases the productivity of the kit.

10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Do you mulch full time even in spring and with fall cleanup? :waving: