1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the mower blade sharpener assist from Ballard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS1, Dec 14, 2003.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.ballard-inc.com has a blade assist that looks like you can set for different angles. Looks like you can attach it to a $30 Home Depot bench grinder and get the same sharpening angle every time.

So has anyone used this gadget yet and how do you like it?
  2. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

i have seen that and would like feedback also.

i purchased a magna matic 2 months ago, and now the new platform, which i need, is xtra dollars, again.

i emailed magna about a discount for recent purchasors of the 9000, and he said might be a discount in the future if you order the new platform and grinding wheels together, but nothing solid atm.

i emailed back that i bought xrta grinding wheels when i purchased the combo package a few months ago, but never received a response from them.
  3. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

With out some kinda controlled in-feed it looks like it would just lock the grind wheel/spindle down from wedging the mower blade in between the fixture and the grind-wheel.

I've never used one, but it does'nt look like something i would buy. JMO.

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Looks cheap and as stated above.. Looks as if it will let the blade get jammed. I use a simple 4.5 in angle grinder. I can sharpen blades in less than minute for a pushmower and about 2 minutes for a larger blade.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It will drag the grinder down a bit, that's why they say to mount it to atleast a 1 hp motor. The real problem with this, is that it's so narrow, that it would be virtually useless. You would have too much movement as the blade would sort teeter on the metal piece. You need a larger table-like surface to sabilize the blade so it rides through smooth.
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Just bringing this back to the top. Anyone purchased one?