1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the Plugr 400?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, Apr 30, 2006.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am looking at buying the pl400 but am worried about it hitting rocks in the ground. Does it have a "fail-safe"device? Will the tines break easy? I have a LA28, and when it hits a rock the machine jumps about 4" and usually breaks a tine:confused:
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have used just about all of the aerators that are out there for profesional use and I think the Plugr is one of the best. I have the PL 600 PL 800 and PL 410. I have yet to break a tine. They do jump if you hit a hard object but with the cam direct drive it does not break like the drum drives do. Good luck. I would buy their new drive plugr instead of the 400. As soon as I get 500 hours on mine I will defintely be upgrading.
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a PL 600, it jumps a little when you hit rocks, but I've never broken a tine. My only complaint about the Plugr is that they gouge you on replacement tines. I pay $12 ea. Tines for other aerators I've owned were $2.50-$3.00 ea.:confused:
    All in all a good machine though, mine is 6 years old and does about 200-300 lawns a year.
  4. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am looking at a 1 year old pl400 for $1000.00. When you refer to "drive" plugr , whats the diff? Isn't the pl400 self propelled?
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

It is propelled forward by the tines which works well. The PL 850 is the only one that is actually driven. This means when your are not aerating it moves on its own where the others dont.
  6. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

1 Year old for $1000 sounds like a heck of a deal to me... we gave around $2200 for our last PL400H (with the Honda)... I think the Briggs version (PL400B) would have been around $350 cheaper.
    We've never had any tine breaking problems... I think the roller drum style units are more apt to break a tine because they are weight driven.
    At least for us, the Plugr 5/8" hollow core tines last a LONG time... they are the real deal carbide tipped... not just steel "spoon" tines like some roller units use. Plus... there are only 4 to maintain on the 400 (or 6 on the 600).
    The key is that we can run the Plugrs all day without being wore out... we ran a rented Bluebrid 424 before and it was like running a rototiller over a whole lawn... sure wears you out in a hurry.