Anyone use these?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ron mexico75, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

You know I have the same issue. I am doing an entire renovation for a front yard that's about 25 years old. I sprayed 6 gallons (2 backpacks) on this area. I mixed at 4oz/gal 9label says for hard to control use that rate). I sprayed ivy, azaleas, liriope and some scattered broadleafs 2 weeks ago tomorrow. The whole yard is heavily shaded, only get slight filtered sunlight. I stopped by last Sat and hardly anything. I called the homeowner last night and they said no visible difference!

Damn it! I used a PBI Gordon product called Glyphomate. It's 41% glyphosate with a surfanctabnt already mixed in safe for aquatic use (spraying in a yard that drains into a creek) It has to be the shade don't you think? I was thinking of those packets because the % of gly is higher. However, maybe that doesn't matter since it's shaded. Im going back to spray again tomorrow. Maybe I will mix at 6oz/gal?

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I've never seen these packets.

But, if they're 1.5oz. packets, does the "percentage" of gly, (AI) even matter (comparatively)?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. vencops

from NC

Also....Ron...

When's the last time that lawn saw water?

Have you ever thought of mixing Ammonium Sulfate into your gly. mix?

4. ron mexico75

Man, I'd say weeks ago bedsides the occasional quick pop up shower. You think setting up a sprinkler would help the unwanted vegetation translocate the gly more quicky?

No haven't considered that, could you enlighten me?

5. ron mexico75

You know I'm not really sure. Could be the packet weight is only 1.5oz because it's a powder but the amount of gly you're mixing per gallon is the same as a liquid rate....I don't know for sure.

6. vencops

from NC

It's actually a little less than you're mixing at the liquid concentrate rate.

The AS added will "trick" the plant into thinking it's time to feed. If you can't get water to it, that's what I'd do. Actually, I'd add the AS anyway. It adds $0.02/gal. cost to my mix.

7. ron mexico75

Thanks, I'll have to try that. You do that for all big area spray jobs?

8. vencops

from NC

I don't have too many "big" blanket gly. apps....lol. But, I mix the AS in almost all my gly mixes. This time of hear, I think it makes sense. Plus, if you're not taking your own water (that you know isn't overly 'hard') with you, it's (AS) good insurance.

@ a couple cents/gal.....what's it hurt?

Good luck.

9. ron mexico75

So what rate of AS do you use per gallon? I have some ivy I need to kill and could use all the help I can get.

10. vencops

from NC

My gly. concentrate lists the rate of AS as an ad-mixture @ 17#'s/100gals.

6pints (by volume) of granular AS = 1#.

17 X 6 / 100 is roughly 1pint/gal. of diluted granular AS into your 1gal. mix. I suggest using a really fine mesh to strain your AS dilution, as you're adding it into your tank. I dilute mine in a separate container and add mine is as I'm adding water. I add my gly in a little at a time (in my 25gal. tank) and keep it agitating.