Anyone use this Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nriddle77, Aug 3, 2005.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

2. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

I've not used this mower but I've used similar Toros. I'm a fan of Toro, not a fan of the Personal Pace transmission on these newer Toros though. If you are looking to spend this much for a 21, I'd suggest you consider getting a Commercial Toro instead. It will be more durable in the long run. That's about what that will sell for locally, BTW.

Also for spending that much on a mower the engine isn't anything special. It's not even an OHV engine, it's basically the same Briggs Quantum engine they've been using for the last 20+ years. A decent engine but not comparable to a Kawasaki or Honda.

3. BigChaz

BigChaz LawnSite Member

Ive got the same mower without the electric start and the real kicker is how incredible it mulches

Wet grass, long grass into such small pieces you cant even see it
    And if youve never had bbc on a 21incher its really nice.

The personal pace only took me about a day (half dozen yards) to really get used to

Now its really simple for me. I reckon mines got about 50-60 yards on it so far. No problems at all

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Decent mower, but doesn't hold up well to commercial use. I've got the same briggs engine and it burns oil. The thing must have over 1,000 hours on it (3rd set of tires on it). I believe they've improved the personal-pace controls with the new models. I kinda like my older OHV model better now that I've used the two quite a bit. BBC makes things easier as well.

5. DavesLawnCarePlus

DavesLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Hi there.

I use two of the super recyclers (no electric start) and can't think of many bad things to say about them. They require a lot of upkeep but they cut very well. I change the oil in each machine every week. They operate about 35 hours a week each. One machine has started to burn a bit of oil but it hardly concerns me. I just make sure to check it every few hours when I fill up with gas. These machines are great on gas as well and they hold up for commercial use well enough to suit my needs 50 or more lawns a week, been mowing since May, no breakdowns. I've replaced the rear wheels twice so far but that's only because I don't like spinning up hills. Anyhow... Just wanted you to know that there is no need at all to worry about this mower... the only thing it won't do is mow across a hill... The rear wheel drive slides out.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Dave

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Spend the money on a toro proline. I thought they were justed an over priced toy. But after having one given to me and spent some time to get it running. Its the best 21" I ever used. I wish I started out with one. :D