Anyone use this ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by blk90s13, Apr 14, 2011.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

these look great only problem is they will make the rear pretty bouncy when unloaded

might look at airbags but im pretty sure id stick with the springs
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

2 yards of topsoil is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 3- 3.5 tons.

Whatever truck you are using, that's a lot if your GVWR is under 16,000lbs.

Even my dump will only haul 3.5 tons legally.
  4. blk90s13

yea thats what I figured it was specially it was soaking wet from rain the day before, not sure about air bags they scare me if they go boom in the middle of a job or trip
  5. White Gardens

Na, airbags would probably hold up. If you burst a set of air-bags then you are way over-doing it anyways.

My concern would be stopping that big of a load. Do you plan on just using the insert for what it is, or do you plan on over-loading it constantly? My 01, 3500 HD dually has 4 wheel disc and even a full load takes a bit to stop.

Just from a safety factor, that big a load on your truck is going to be pushing the envelope. I'd consider a dump trailer when you need to haul quantity.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

personally i would go with airbags. i have them on my 2500HD and there great. i got the airlift loadlifter 5000 and have no regrets or problems

TC LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I have air bags on my 05 dodge 2500 with an 8ft insert and have no touble holding 3yrds mulch or 2yds stone while towing a 20ft enclosed at the same time. The truck barely squats when just dont drive it like you stole it and stopping is not an issue. love my insert and love my bags!
  8. White Gardens

Alright, I'm going to go into a rant like I have on PlowSite and guys overloading their trucks, take it as me being a jerk if you wish, I don't care.

Quit over-loading your under-rated trucks. 2 yards of stone or 3 yards of dirt is over-loading your truck.

Not only is your truck not rated to haul that capacity, it's not legal. Get a truck or trailer that will handle the loads. Overloading a truck is dangerous not only for yourself but everyone else on the roads.

Stuff like this ticks me off.

9. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

White Gardens, I have to agree with you. The trucks have ratings for a reason. If you want to haul heavy loads buy a bigger truck. I know most people don't have the money to invest in trucks and equipment these days, but imagine how much it will cost you if you cause an accident and they find out you're overloaded. Just my 2 cents.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. blk90s13

you are so right but till I can afford a nice dump ( diesel newer and not just old junk ) I will work with what I have and try to keep it within weight limit

my truck got all disc around not that it raises the GVWR but it does help stopping

I did another 2 ton of stone today but I split it into two trips and it wasnt bad at all

Thanks for your advice