1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Trac-Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNT Lawncare, Nov 3, 2006.

1. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used 1991 Model 580 Trac-Vac for $500 from a local dealer. New I believe these are about $2300. They serviced this as it was a trade in. It starts on the first pull and has a ton of sucking power. I got this to help with fall cleanups and I pull it behind my Ferris. I was wondering what you guys think of these. I used it for the first time today and it was absolutely awesome. It saved me soooooooooo much time. I only had to dump it 3 times and there was a ton of leaves. I should have taken pics. Let me know what you guys think of Trac-Vac. I am sure alot of you have other things for fall cleanup but let me know about this. Thanks. BTW, I am solo so this beats trying to tarp all the leaves myself, especially on windy days.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 4 Trac Vac (460) systems that mount on the front of our big WB's.
  3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

But it's deffinatly hard to see that by looking at it, just think, more suction, and directly into large containers, right? Wrong.

1. It's a second machine to help the job another machine is already doing. You need to shut the thing off to unload (every time you unload).
    2. You need to restart it every time you want to continue, shoulder will definatly need an ice pack by the end of the day.
    3. If used on a WB forget getting through those narrow gates unless u want to spend 5 min removing the thing and replacing it, and if u are solo plan on a back ache at the end of the day.
    4. A second engine for the mower means twice the service.
    5. It shoots out an ungodly ammount of dust up into the air, more than side bagging.

I added up the time all this extra stuff required and how much time the vac saved and it is faster to use a side bagger. So not only is it faster during servicing to side bag, but I have one less piece of equipment to service, for good.

I sure sound like I had a good time operating mine right? :laugh:
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Absolutely wrong.

I run a 1080 behind my Kubota ZD28. I service the thing 2 times / year. Once in the fall before I start, and once in the spring before I start. It puts the dust in the air because I've got an 8hp motor sucking everything, including dirt into that bagger, which is what you want, finish it right the first time.

I have properties where I can dump, so I don't have to worry about having a truck loader or loading large garbage cans into the truck like Rodfather.

As far as shutting the thing off and restarting it, it's a flick of a switch, the throttle control. How hard is that?? Mine still starts on one pull, 3 pulls when it's the first of the season, and it's 5 years old now.

lawncuttinfoo... I think you're not talking about the same setup. If you are, then you had a bad machine, IMO.
  5. rodfather

we do the same...either curbside or on site only. we do not take anything ever away.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay okay.... :rolleyes:

Like most with the 400 series baggers.... is THAT better??? :D
  7. rodfather

I never had a probelm seeing around or over the collection barrels...maybe if you were a midget you might. As for the dust that vents out, hell it's Fall time, there is leave dust everywhere when you are chopping up and vacing leaves.

Sure as hell beats raking them on a tarp like Topsites does :laugh:
  8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the 480