Anyone use Tracphone for their Business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jajwrigh, Nov 4, 2006.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

If so, what do you think of the prepaid idea?

2. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

got no credit eh?

3. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

Poor idea! Imagine having a bussy day,lots of calls. Now a potential customer calls and you cant spent a few min on the phone because your almost out of time. Not very profesional. Dont do it to yourself. Besides that I think prepaid phones cost about twice the price per min as a regular plan.

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

who in their right mind would spend $50 for 250 minutes . thats a plan with nextel with free incoming calls and free nights and weekends.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's not the cellular to be sure, plenty of us use them exclusively, but most of us (like myself) have a limited calling plan that is powerful enough yet economical.

I think I get 600 anytime minutes and 3k weekends / evenings plus free long distance and free roaming for $40 / month... I mean, it don't get much better than that, just be sure you get at least 400 anytime minutes and you need to watch them until you know you won't go over (or get a bigger plan).

No way I'd go with a prepaid, it's too fly-by-night, even if the customer never finds out, the whole idea kinda stinks of it.
    That, and it's too expensive. No, I am firmly against it, if for no other reason than it raises your communication costs sky high, and running high costs are no way to run a business.

My tip is start saving, you should have at least 5 thousand dollars spare cash starting out, it's a lot easier that way.
    It may take you 2-3 years, you may even have 10 or 20 thousand after that, but you'll appreciate the money a lot more.
    Credit is a bad idea, even if you got it, once again it drives the cost through the roof (unless you can get 0% interest, but even then, what if you can't make the payments...), not a good idea for at least the first 3-4 years.

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

That is a pretty poor interpretation of my question...

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a cingular go phone pay as you go, i used to have a tracfone. I like them both, but when i upgraded to a new phone i went with cingular, the plan i have is .10/min with a $1 access charge on days i use it. I don't use it enough to justify the kind of monthly play i would like. i get free cingular to cingular(and tracfone bounces off cingular, so i can call tracfone customers for free) It lets me know when i am down to $5 and i go and put more on. when i get my new truck, i'll get the verizon plan with onstar, but until then, i'll use my prepaid.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Not familiar with Tracphone...

I have 1000 minutes on Nextel then 10 cents a minute on overages which seems to do well.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

450 sprint anytime minutes does me more than good!

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I have a nextel and my wife has a trackphone. Only reason is because she hardly ever uses it. If your going to us it everyday then get a reg cell carrier