Anyone use "Turf Paint" during off season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TurfPro, Dec 9, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

I'm running out of time to get all my overseeding done(although the soil temp is still 55-60*) and am considering "Lawnger" brand turf paint instead. I've seen it used on athletic fields and such on T.V. but not in person.
    Question: If you've used it, how easy was it to get a nice even application (no streaking) and (2) was it realistic?

Thanks

2. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search for," Grass paint anyone?".;)

I don't know how to post the link.:dizzy: Hope this helps.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We used the Lesco brand turf paint this summer when we had a few areas we sprayed with round-up leach out along buildings due to unexpected heavy rain soon after. I thought it looked extremely fake- too blue. It did make the damage look less evident from a distance, but up close I though it was very obvious. Be careful not to spray anything but the grass because it is actually paint, not a dye. As to the application, we used a backpack sprayer, I would assume that since it is a paint and you can see exactly where it goes, that you should have no problems with streaking. Good Luck

4. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

Hey turfpro, I did my last overseeding Nov 19 and it came up pretty nice. How late in the year do you go?

5. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

EvandSeby,

I'm right on the zone 7b-8a border, so that would change things in comparing Seed Dates between our 2 respective areas,,,I tend to plant according to Soil Temp ,,if at all possible. In my area I like to have my overseed ( Rye)down before the soil temp gets below 60-65*....this year was a pain cuz it went straight from high 80's (air temp) to 50's ,then 40's within a week. Unfortunately the healthy Bermuda lawns I take care of can sustain ,even thrive,in those temps(80's-50's),,,at least well enough to choke-out the Rye Seedlings,,so you can see that the "window of opportunity" was VERY narrow for me this year... hence the "Turf Paint":dizzy:

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep...greenlawnger. I hate overseeding.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

8. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Thanks Team Gopher, we appreciate your support of this forum.