1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone use vonage

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AintNoFun, Oct 15, 2005.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

just curious if any of you guys have switched to Vonage for your business telephone needs. For $50.00 they got unlimited calling throughout the country just curious if anyone has the service....
  2. AaronO

AaronO LawnSite Member

Broadband phones are excellent and affordable. The only problem is not with broadband phones, but with your cable lines. If you're cable is underground then you should not have any problems. If it is above ground, then sometimes it feels like you are talking to someone overseas. If you ever spoke to someone in Europe. A slight delay.

I have one for my home phone, since my wife uses it, and it cut our phone bill by 300%. I can't lose with that...
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have 3 MBPS cable modem, the sound quality is as good as regular phone lines. My sister has Vonage and the only problem she has is ,sometimes she gets an error message saying all circuits busy.
  4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

The big problem I have with Vonage is the lack of a good 911 system. They claim to be able to work that out, but I've seen some complaints about it online, I think at www.dslreports.com.

Also, if your ISP has trouble, then YOU have trouble.

I might try it out if I hear that these wrinkles are ironed out.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think if you have 2 lines in the house, Vonage is great. This way if power goes out, you still have a phone. Also, 911 will work on the other line.......
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

that was my question.....does 911 work correctly with it.........? I guess that was answered!

7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I like that it rings both my home phone and my cell phone while away from the house. The down side is I can not use my cell phone to call home. I think this is a bug.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi AintNoFun,

Everyone I know who uses Vonage has been happy thus far. Sometimes I do notice, as Aaron said an echo effect as well but it's never too bad.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

look at your phone bill and you will see 911 service fee, this little addition is an insurance policy for those that have disconnected phones. yes the phone is disconnected, no there is no dial tone, yes 911 will go thru on a dead line.
    we all pay for others to have it, just keep a phone plugged into your normal phone jack and it is a 911 only phone.
    try it on a discconnected line once and you will see it still works.
  10. I've used vonage for 2 years now and have no complaints whatsoever. Not sure what business class offers that residential doesn't, but resi. is only $25 a month unlimited.