Anyone used a Bobcat B-Series B300 on hills?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by EagleLandscape, Jun 17, 2004.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

http://www.bobcat.com/products/item.view.html?itemId=4938

Anyone ever used this one a hill before? I think this is what I'm gonna rent for a few days while I do this retaining wall project. I've gotta go down this hill right here, I think it's about 25* or so.

The bucket will be loaded with bags of concrete, rebar, and backfill dirt. I will be driving from that rod iron fence (taking out the fence) and driving down the materials to the bottom of that picture. (That pile or dirt will be removed by the way.

[​IMG]

The excavator is the Bobcat B300.

[​IMG]

I want something thats very rugged because I will be spending two days down in an extremely rocky creek bed prepping the base and moving around gabian rocks and such. So, I personally feel this will be a much wiser choice than a mini-excavator.

So, I know I will be using that excavator for sure, but would a tracked skid steer model be a better choice for constantly moving up and down that hill? Thanks guys!!

2. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

Um I hate to sound like a smart a$$ (ok I realy don't)

but here it goes you have a bobcat and a big pile of dirt. You can make the slope what ever you want it to be right?

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

That pile of dirt isn't large enough to do jack-squat with as far as changing the grade of the hill.

It may be a PITA to switch from one machine to the other, but personally I would be using the mini-ex and the skidsteer. Just the fact that you can swing 360 degrees with a mini-ex makes them worthwhile to me. Get a tracked skidsteer too. You will probably like that method better than the B300, it has a higher center of gravity, thus, higher pucker factor on the hill. A tracked machine will be more stable.

Just my $.02 worth.:)

Dan

4. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

you would not need to change the whole hill. Just make a ramp so to speak to drive up and down while loaded then finish cleaning up the pile/ramp

5. EagleLandscape

Haha, yah, if I changed the whole hill, then I'd have to clean it back up as well. No thanks! Good idea D Felix, but I'm running across of tons of gabian rocks in the base of the creek (cant see it in the picture), but would a tracked mini-ex still be able to drive through all those rocks and such?

6. EagleLandscape

D Felix, is this the mini-ex?

[​IMG]

If I took that thing down in this creek bed, I'd flip right over. Do you have any pics of model numbers of some better ones? Thanks again!

7. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

That hill doesn't look too bad to me. You could use a skidsteer if you don't rush and follow the directions. Put the heavy side downhill. Figure you're not going to go down that hill with an overloaded bucket either. Take it little by little!

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

That is a little more mini then Felix was talking about. I have used them down in creek beds and on rocks with no control problems. You can use the arm for stabilization and to "pull" the machine if needed.

Keep in mind working down in water may bring up some erosion / contaimination concerns.

9. EagleLandscape

The creek bed is dry, so water issues won't be a problem. It only fills with water when the customer gets heavy rains, and rips away their backyard, so they need some retention, and soon. It's not everyday you have a customer calling you a few times a week asking when I can get started on a 10k project. Any pictures of a min-ex?

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member