Anyone used a Hustler Mini Fastrak 36?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tulsa Metro Lawns, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Tulsa Metro Lawns

Tulsa Metro Lawns LawnSite Member

Was wondering if anyone had used a Hustler Mini Fastrak 36 and if so what are your pros and cons?

2. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

How much are you mowing ? Are you thinking as a full time mower or only for gated back yards? what type of grass?

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Hey TulsaMetro...A captain at my station bought a FastTrak last season. He had only used Toro wb's before. He loves it. He put a mulch kit on it and claims it still has power.

4. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Its the same thing as the 42" and I love my 42". I would suggest getting the Honda istead of the kohler. I'm using my for about 5 yards a week so its not like I'm beating it to death. I'd want something more commercial if I was mowing 20-25 a week with a ZTR. Most of my work is with 21" mowers.

5. Tulsa Metro Lawns

Excel25...Only using it for gated backyards. Figured why buy WB when I can get a ZTR for same or little less than price. And, it will be only used for residential backyards and of course as backup.

Lawnprosteveo...Good to hear since I just bought it! I even got them to throw in the mulch kit for free. (Package deal since I also bought a couple of Stihl trimmers). It seemed like great quality just like it's more commercial outfits.

Whipples.7...Like I said, just for backyards and not very many and serves as backup. I think it's a good fit. Especially considering the price...only $3,599 with Kohler though.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I tried to mow with one and parked it there was no trim side to it. The deck needs to be 42" minimum so it's wider than the wheelbase otherwise you have to trim way out from the fenceline. Go bigger if possible.

7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

regarding getting it instead of a WB, with the mini fastrak you only get the EZT integrated transmission, which is not going to last. The trimstar wb gets the IZT which although I have blasted hustler several times for switching to this from the old pump and wheel motor combination is still significantly better than the EZT used on the mini fastrak. I'd get a commerical walk over a mini fastrak almost any day unless it's for once a week homeowner usage for an acre or two at most.

8. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

I had one last year and traded it off for a bigger mower. The mini was an excellent mower!
    I also know a guy who has one that is three or four seasons old and he mows the crap out of it and it is still holding up well "ezt hydros and all". The ezt's maybe considered homeowner but they have lasted on his and one good thing is they are maintenance free and cheaper to replace if one goes compared to motor pump combo's.

9. Tulsa Metro Lawns

I was of course considering a Toro floating T-bar but the dealers are proud of them. So, having had good luck with Hustler in the past, I went with the Fastrak 36. Haven't even been able to cut with it. Did drive and play with it and it seems tight and durable. Tomorrow I will take it over terrain i've previously cut and see how it feels and handles.

10. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Not being serviceable is why I'm leary of them. I used to sell hustlers and I'm not saying the mini is a bad mower, just that I wouldn't trust it to hold up to commercial usage. Plus the commercial warranty is only 90 days on a mini, versus one yr on the regular fastrak (provided the opt. hr meter is installed). I found out hustler won't warranty a fastrak used commercially without an hr meter.