1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone used a ride on Spreader?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kelly Lawn, Feb 27, 2007.

1. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

I was thinking about buying ride on spreader because doing all of my accounts once per month with the regular broadcast spreaders is becoming a big pain. I include monthly fertilizer or weed and feed in my clients contract and charge them accordingly. Does anyone use these and if so do you recommend any models?
  2. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Depends on the "lay of the land." I have used them for athletic fields, etc. but had bad luck with them on slopes. Had a big commercial account I used it on once and it came out so patchy and splotchy I never did it again.

Lesco makes a motorized walk behind spreader I liked just fine.
  3. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

I know guys who've used the motorized lesco's and liked them just fine. Don't let them tip over though.

I have a lot of experience with the C & S Turf Tracker. Built on a Dixie Chopper platform and when it works it's great. Unfortunately, they rust to pieces under everyday use and there is no warranty.
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

5. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

I have a LESCO truckster that I use and I love it. I am not sure that they make the truckster anymore though. Saves my feet and I can put out all my stuff twice as fast. Never had a problem with the looks. JRCO makes one that looks like a good outfit. It has a foot peddle that will let you shut the discharge off while you turn.
  6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on perma green or z spray and you will find a lot of info.
  7. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, It just seems like they cost so much. How much would you justify spending? I have currently been replacing my earthways every year because they break and they are expensive too. Will these riders hold up?
  8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You will be able to do twice as much work with a rider and you wont be tired!:walking: and its much better and cheaper than hiring an employee!
  9. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the math - a PG for instance costs about $5700. You should easily get 3 years out of it, so 5700/3=1900/yr. Now assume you use it 150 days a year (5 days/week, 7 months/yr) and your cost per day is $12.67 per day. Assuming you have enough business to use it to begin with, isn't it worth $13 a day to not push a spreader and/or drag a hose? That's a no-brainer for many of us.
  10. mwaller98

mwaller98 LawnSite Member

or hire an employee for that matter