Anyone used growth inhibitors to control lawn growth?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Let it Grow, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if any of you have tried growth inhibitors to control how fast, and how tall lawns will grow? I've been doing some research on the internet, and it seems like this kind of product could revolutionize the lawn care industry. Any info would be VERY helpful.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, but I have been thinking it about because one of my customers pre-paid for the next 3 years, and I was thinking about using them. Save me some money and time

3. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

Hope it never catches on myself.

4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I called LESCO last year to inquire about the price. It is really high priced & doesn't really stop the grass from growing slower. The grass will get thicker in its first couple of inches so if you bag it you will have about half as many clippings but they told me you will have to cut it almost as often because of the height of the grass. At least that is what I was told. That's my 2 cents.

Mike Immel
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

5. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Primo is the product of choice in the Northwest. Golf courses use it often on fairway, tee and green to tame clipping yield, conserve fertilizer and water. No reason why you can't do the same, assuming you are licensed and you turf species are suitable. Neal

6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

(from post above) Primo is the product of choice in the Northwest. Golf courses use it often on fairway, tee and green to tame clipping yield, conserve fertilizer and water. No reason why you can't do the same, assuming you are licensed and you turf species are suitable. Neal

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we use primo a lot on bermuda.

we use it on sidewalk edges, and hillsides ( 21" areas) and all bed edges and trimming areas.

it cuts the growth in 1/2 and makes the turf look better.

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Currently putting together a growth regulator program for next spring when the fescue is going psycho. Probably has more appeal for contract cutters and select home-owners that need a break or, are looking for the cutting edge stuff. Applied it to mine and a few others and the results with Primo-Maxx were impressive. Dramatically reduced the total cuts and overall turf health was very good. Also shows some promise to help reduce Brown patch disease pressure since top growth is limited. Color is very good due to more compact leaf cells and more extensive root developement. Cost is a problem for sure but when you put it on paper for a customer (especially those going on a long vacation) it becomes much more attractive. I'm not sure when any of the current regulators go "off patent" but that would certainly bring the price down and help keep margins intact.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We used it on one of our larger estates this spring. The property is about 2 acres, all manicured. The lawn was growing approximately 5" per week. The crew, though it is billed by the minute, was curbside too long. Also, they would fill the truck with the clippings. I treated with Primo during the heavy growth time, late May, and was pleased with the results.

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have not used it. I figured that the cost was equal to the labor saved. However.

My theory was that

reduce clippings = reduced dump fees

Less clippings = less time on the property
    Less time on property = more properties your able to service
    More properties = more money

All theory, I could be off, but it looks good.