1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone used hydrogen kits on their truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by genesis215, Jun 9, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I was wondering if any of you have tried putting hydrogen kits on your trucks, and what your experiences have been with them. The websites that show you how to do it say it can be done on ANY vehicle, gas or diesel. It supposedly improves fuel mileage by at least 40%, reduces emmisions drastically, and also removes and prevents carbon build up in your engine, making it run alot better. Basically, this is technology that allows your vehicle to run on hydrogen produced from the water, as a supplement to gasoline or diesel. It only requires a quart of water in a glass quart jar, which has positive and negative lines from the car battery coming through. The electrical current produced separates the hydrogen gas from the water, and it goes through lines into the intake manifold of the engine to be burned along with gasoline or diesel. Have any of you tried these systems, and do they work? Any comments would be appreciated. The websites I have looked at are www.runyourcarwithwater.com, and www.water4fuel.com.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

PT Barnum- Sucker is born every minute...

T Tusser- A fool and his money are soon parted....

Don't you think that if it really worked...The companies would be gazilionaires by now....

They are using electric power from the battery to separate H2 and O from the water.

Claimed water fuelled engines often obtain hydrogen by electrolysis of water. The electrolysis cell must be powered electrically. The hydrogen and oxygen obtained by this electrolysis can then be burned but more energy is required to drive the electrolysis cell than can be extracted from the resulting hydrogen-oxygen mixture. Otherwise, such a system would be equivalent to a perpetual motion machine.

When hydrogen is burned, the heat it creates can be converted into work by a conventional Otto cycle car engine, but the efficiency of such engines is limited by the second law of thermodynamics and is likely to be around 20%.[4][5] Because a conventional electric motor does not use heat, it can theoretically have an efficiency close to 100%. 94% efficient motors of sufficient power to drive a car are commonplace.[6]

A variation on the water-fuelled car hoax is Stanley Meyers' water fuel cell, where it is claimed that hydrogen and oxygen are produced by a mysteriously efficient form of electrolysis. This design also reduces to a perpetual motion machine and violates the first law of thermodynamics.

Here area few other fuel saving things to buy...magnets, vortex generators, engion ionaizerm fuel vapor injector,
  3. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

If this stuff is impossible, then I am going to have to get a V8 station wagon, like the Buick Roadmaster. Maybe a small pickup. Did you actually read the sites? The Water4Fuel system had many customer testemonials, and they tell you in very thorough detail how their it works. If it would work, and increase my mileage by at least 40%, I could get 25+ mpg with my 1/2-ton Ford van. I am currently getting 17 with the 351 engine towing a 13' trailer and mowers.
  4. MarcSmith

I'm a car nut. I would do anything I could to get get more power or better mileage. Customer testimonials are great, but that have no real basis.

here's an article from PM....
    I know Mythbusters did an episode or two on these things...
    all of them proved to be worthless.

You could probably increase your mileage by 10% just keeping your tires inflated to the proper level, and adjusting your driving habits...slow starts, slow stops, keep your speed below 60.

I know I can get 25 in my daily commute if i stay right at 55. but if I get over 60 it drops to 20.

You could even increase your mileage by changing the rear end gear ratio or buying taller tires. Now this will hurt your low end grunt, but its an option.

whenI a racing my Impala, I went from a 3.08 to a 3.73( for better off the line respose) and my milege went down 15%. Alot of the caprices,/roadmasters wagons come with 2.52 installed in the rear end.

But why would you get a wagon,(not rated to tow as much and with the V8 its going to get just as crappy mileage) when you could get a small pickup truck and put a cap on the bed?

Id try to change out the rear gear before I bought another vehicle.

We have to admit to ourselves, that we are in a business that drinks fuel. We have no option, when you start towing around a a trailer and equipment. Fuel economy goes out the window.
  5. BrIONwoshMunky

BrIONwoshMunky LawnSite Member

As Marc already pointed out, the laws of physics, and more specifically thermodynamics, do not allow this to work. This law basically states, what you put in is less than what you get out.

Electrolysis (which is simply running electrical current through water) is between 50% - 70% efficient. An internal combustion engine functioning on the Otto cycle, (a standard 4-stroke engine) is ABOUT 20% efficient. On the high side, 70% of 20% yields 14% work. Sitting still, not running that produced power through a transmission to the wheels, but at the crank.

Straight electrical motors can be anywhere from 70% - 90% efficient. So instead of spending more than 70% of your energy JUST to make hydrogen and water, you could instead use it to directly operate a motor.
  6. MarcSmith

reminds of me star trek

Scotty-in your best scottish accent "I canno break da laws of physics Jim...."
  7. BrIONwoshMunky

BrIONwoshMunky LawnSite Member

I'm totally calling myself out on this one, and since I cannot edit, I'm going to man up and admit I cannot type worth a flying nun. What I meant to say was what you get out is less than what you put in.

If you got more out than what you put in, it'd be a perpetual motion machine! :hammerhead:
  8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You are way to flippin smart to be a groundskeeper :dizzy:
  9. MarcSmith

your too kind....I just happened to stay at a holiday in last night...:)

We'll not really.

before I got into horticulture, I did 2 years at the Merchant marine academey studying engineering...And have always been tinkering with engines and stuff since I was a kid...