Anyone used this mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chopper67, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Chopper67

Chopper67 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about getting into the biz and I've been lookin around the last couple of days at this site, well today I went into sears and saw this mower.
    I don't know much about this stuff, I mean I own a lawn mower and I mow my grass at my house but I don't really know what type of equipment I will need to start with, it looks like everyone has their favorites as to what is good and what isn't.
    Is this a good mower for the price $3100.00 ...??
    Craftsman 18 hp, 50 in. Deck Zero Turn Lawn Tractor

Sears item #07127770000 Mfr. model #27770

A fast way to cut your lawn. Features the 18 hp Kohler Command OHV engine with full pressure lubrication. Heavy-duty dual hydro transmissions with twin control levers for speed and direction
    Thanks

2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick with a commercial brand z. If you don't have the cash, either finance, or get a used lawn tractor, and SAVE. Save 10% of all you make and whenyou have the cash, buy the z.
    Matt

3. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I have not seen it in person, but I assume it is a fine "homeowners" model. After you have been in the biz for a while, you will learn that there is a big difference in homeowners vs. commercial equipment. The devil is in the details, so go look at a commercial one, like Exmark, real close, then go back to Sears. You will see what I am talking about...

Good luck!

4. Chopper67

At the risk of sounding stupid what's a Z, I would guess it's a mower of some kind where would I find oe and how much is a Z...?
    Sorry.... :)

5. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

Z is ZTR or Zero Turn Radius mower.

I wouldn't mess with the Craftsman for commercial use. I'd start with a commercial walk-behind with a sulky... Before you ask... a sulky is a wheeled platform that pulls behind the mower like a trailer that you stand on rather than walking... Kinda like riding a chariot... Pretend you're Ben Hur. ;) You can get a 36" for around the $2000 (plus about $200 for the sulky) and it will do everything you need until you decide you really need a Z.

As far as the Z... A commercial one would have bigger wheels, have less plastic on it, and just be more durable. We bought a Snapper Z that is technically a consumer mower, but the components are exactly the same as the Simplicity commercial version of it (minus independent suspension) which is the only reason we figured it was a durable enough mower.

If I had it to do over again (or when we buy our next mower) I wouldn't buy a Snapper/Simplicity/Ferris... Great mowers, but the use these god awfully long deck belts that are hard to find, and run around $70. Longer belts break easier I'm finding.

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're thinking about springing $3800 for a mower, you really should go with a low-end commercial unit. Someone said something about a walk-behind with a sulky. I agree, and for the money you're looking at, you can get a hydro drive mower with a fixed deck or a belt-driven machine with a floating deck.

My exmark 36" has a fixed deck and a belt drive and while it cuts superbly, the belt drive is kind of a pain. The pistol grips are really tough on the forearms and while it has a reverse gear, the reverse gear consists mostly of me pulling on the muh-fuh unless I'm on flat ground. So go hydro if you can afford it.

One thing about the Sears model is that it weighs 670 lbs. For a mower with a 50" cut, that aint much. I really doubt it's at all sturdy.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, that is pretty light compared to commercial models. My Walker weighs around 950 lbs. without the deck attatched. The 52" deck is a beast weighing in at 350 lbs. It also has a much larger engine, a 26hp fuel injected Kohler.

8. Chopper67

Thanks for the info, that just answered my question, so Hydro, with a floating deck, I'm hearing and seeing alot about exmark mowers, and some walkers and scags, these are all good brands I take it.
    Thanks

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes, those are all good brands.

now what you have to do is to Identify what kind of yards you want to do. if you want commercial accounts (think condo projects) you most likely will want a 48" deck size or bigger.

if you want to get in to the residential market there are two kinds of yards. large acerages with no gates or small yards with gates.
    for the fenced yards I woudn't buy anything over a 36" walkbehind mainly because the mower won't fit through the gate if it's any bigger.

the large acerage residentials go well with commercial accounts because in most cases you will only need one mower to do the job.

finally, try not to let any one customer make up more than 30% of you business (or revenue). if they get any bigger than that they hold too much sway over your decisions. in other words, if I drop this customer or they drop me, am I going to be able to eat and pay my bills tomorrow?

hope this helps.

10. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good post.

Yes, Exmark/toro/hustler/scag/Dixie chopper/JD...... All good brands.. And lots of payup to.

You may consider like a Gravely/snapper/Yazoo-Kees. Good machines, just cheaper price, very good to start with.