Anyone using 72 inch mowing decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Deere Pilot, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Deere Pilot

Deere Pilot LawnSite Member

Guys,
    Is anyone using 72 inch mowing decks these days. Most of the owners post their equipment and I seldom see anyone with a 72 in deck. I was thinking of getting a John Deere Diesel with a 72. Any thoughts?

2. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

31hp xs exmark 72 and love it, adding another 72 to the fleet next month.
    I never would buy one till last year, be warned though, one you taste the time savings of a 72 you will never go back. I am getting the 35 on the next one because that is the only vanguard briggs a/c they offer on the 72 this year. But the 31 briggs on the one I already run would cut a telephone pole down if it could climb it.

3. Deere Pilot

Deere Pilot LawnSite Member

Thanks I'm sold!

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I bought a 72" Dixie Chopper last year, and it has saved quite a bit of time on the larger open lawns. The 60" works better for some lawns, but it's nice to have the 72" when I can use it.

Make sure your trailer is wide enough.

5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 72 "Scag Saber Tooth Tiger and also have a 61 " deck I still use the 72" twice as much as I do the 61

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

I have one, Tonyr has one, K & L Landscaping has at least one. It is big fast and takes alot to bog it down. I throughly enjoy using ours, but I have problems prying the sticks out of my daughters' hands. They consider it THEIR machine that Dad bought for them.
    You can check with the others and also check who else has one.There is a informal network of 997 owners arising because it is so new and novel.

7. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend that you at least try a 72" but make sure you get good floatation with the mower deck! I bought a Encore Prowler.

8. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

We have (3) Tanks ( cub cadet commercial ) They are ok.. Had problems with leaks but the dealer always took care of them..

9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Not many decks that large are going to float good, if it does, it is not built stout enough. This is where operator comes into play, you have to use your foot on the deck lift pedal and help it up a little if you see or know of a potential scalp spot coming up. This another reason I will not buy mowers with power deck lifts (gravely,badboy) or one that has the adjustment move if you use the pedal to slightly lift the deck (dixie chopper). They may have changed those deck lifts on those mowers by now. I consider the leaders Toro, Exmark and Scag, these are well built machines. Just dont get a machine with a piece of tin for a deck. The only thing I am skiddish about John Deere is the stamped deck design, it might hold up. I will go with a true heavy welded deck anyday of the week. Kubota had stamped deck for a while now they have a nice welded deck, I have no experience with this particular machine. It would be something to look at though if in the market for a diesel.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

There is absolutely NO reason to be skeptical about the john deere 7 iron deck IMO. It is stronger than a fabricated deck because it has no welds to crack/break. Several on this site are currently running that deck and it is outperforming the fabricated decks they have used in the past.