Anyone using a 20' enclosed trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TimsLawnCareVA, Jul 15, 2009.

1. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to be buying my enclosed trailer this week finally.:clapping:I was planning on getting a 7x16, but after looking at the 8.5x20 trailers, I am thinking I should buy one, they just seem so long. I will be hauling 2 Super Z's and all my other equipment, and it looks like the 16' would fill up quick. So, my question is, does the 20' seem like the way to go, or should I stay with the 16?

2. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the 20'. We've had a 16 for the past two years and it didn't have room for 1/2 of our stuff. We bought a 20' about three months ago and have room for our 60" Z, 36" Z, 48" Trimstar and Honda push mowers. It's a V-nose so we have a little room in the front for parts and supplies. Much better setup than the 16' we had.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I was looking at buying a 16 footer but realized that it would fill up fast. The whole point of having an enclosed trailer is to keep everything you need or might need right in the trailer and not unloading it every night. With a 16 you probably wouldn't be able to keep everything in it at one time, I think the mowers would take up almost all of the floor space. With the 20 you will have over 50 sq/ft more than the 16. Plus the 20 will give you some space to add stuff later.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 20' and haul a 48" Walker a Super Z 66" and dump my grass from the Walker in the front. I put my 21 siedways between the front tires of the Hustler.

BTW do not get a North American Cargo brand. Mine is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. 3 years and it is falling apart.

5. dlaros

dlaros LawnSite Member

Get the bigger one.

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Most enclosed are pieces of garbage. They are just aluminum shells over a frame. They will get banged, dropped, slammed, scraped, knocked, bumped and more. There is nothing you can do about it. It is all about the frame design.

My advice is look at an 8' and not an 8.5'. Also make sure you get an extended tongue 5'+. Consider a side ramp and not a door. They will sell you on the right side, but 9 out of 10 times you'll wish it was on the left. Get the most vents you can and at least one light. And most important take it right from the dealer to the shop to get rhino lined.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

my 18' is packed tight with a wb and 2 Z's. if it was two scags id need the 20'. ive been wishing i got the 20' since i bought mine. dont go any less then 8' wide though, it makes getting in and on mower difficult.

8. Lex Lawn

Lex Lawn LawnSite Member

Get the 20 footer. I have a 7x16 and all I can get on it is two ztr's. Man I would love to have an 8.5 x 20 to accomodate all of my equipment. You won't regret it.

9. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

I have 8.5 by 24!!! Best thing I have ever bought. I can fit everything I need in it.
    2 Kubota ZD 60 inch
    1 Great Dane Surfer 52 inch
    1 Toro walk behind 44 inch
    1 Push mower 21 inch
    weedeaters on the wall on one side
    blowers on the other
    hedge trimmer on wall also
    Oh alsmost forgot

1 bucket for emergencies (if you know what I mean):)

10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We pull an 8.5x20, sometimes it's not big enough.

Go with the 20', if you have the truck to pull it with.