Anyone using a Apple/Mac for bookeeping?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Blink74, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

I would like to convert to Mac and I'm considering buying one of the new iMacs. Is anyone using one for business and bookeeping? I hear the the Mac version of Quickbooks sucks. There is a bookeeping program by MYOB called Accountedge that I've had recomended.

Any insight is appreciated.
  2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run a rather large (400+ clients annually) landscaping business for more than 25 years - most of that on a Mac. The program I use is a datbase file manager program called Filemaker Pro. We actually use one of the first versions - but I think they're up to about V8 or V9.
    It's absolutely the best. I can taylor the program to our specific needs , customize invoices, keep track of daily, weekly and annual revenue, revenue by crew, etc... it's endless and really fantastic. You can get a new version on Ebay for about $80 or an older version for about $4. I just happened to buy one last week for $1 (for extra back-up). Very easy to learn - I learned how to use the program w/o a manual or book and it's sophisticated to handle all of our needs but simple enough to learn in a day or two. Macs are really the way to go. In 25 years I've only had one crash (my fault) and very little other computer issues. If my competitors knew how easy and good the computer system is that we run, they'd crap their pants. This program even allows me to spit out daily route sheets in sequential order...... truely better than ANY program I've ever seen.
    Some of the other software I've seen is like $300 for a version for tha can handle up to 90 customers and $600 for version that can handle up to 200 customers. WOW! That really does me a lot of good with 400+ customers (not including snow). Trust me, get the Mac. Buy Filemaker Pro - you won't ever know the hassles that the other guys are stuggling with. I PROMISE. Take my advice - it comes with 25 years of experience and a lot of success (sometimes learned the hard way).
  3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Myabe I'm mistaken, but isn't Filemaker just a database program? I.e. you have to design the database/program that you are refering to?

I am using a program that is custom tailored to the exact needs of my company and you could not purchase an off the shelf program that can accomplish as much as what my program does for me. I designed it from a blank database using MS Access.

If I am mistaken about what exactly Filemaker is please clarify, but otherwise you may giving the OP a false sense of what he is going to get "out of the box".
  4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you are correct, FMP is the Mac version of Access. It is in no way simple to just sit down and make your own working tables and have everything function without plenty of growing pains!

I have a friend that my wife works with, (she is an assistant principal) and he is the FMP guru and he still has to go on Jungle to get himself out of messes sometimes.

BTW, for the OP, call Mac and ask them about avail programs.
  5. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

After reading your post I went to Filemakers website to check out what the program was. BY reading through their info, it seems like FMP might have been a better choice for creating my program (they claim it works as well on a PC). Seems like it might have been easier to get started. Unfortunately I'm pretty well entrenched into Access and VBA to make a switch. I would love to have a mac though. Those things never seem to break down.
  6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

FMP is largely a database access program. However, it's really not that difficult to tailor to your specific company's needs.... and that's the appeal of it. You can design the program to fit your needs to a T. You design the templates, the functions, the calculations,etc... It's really not that hard to get yourself out of a jam - because you're the one who has engineered the program (unless you're really not paying attention or have a very short memory for what you've already done).
  7. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

use a mac and was thinking of getting this mac quick books version, so wondering what u heard on why the quickbooks for mac sucks. what i saw is that its written by mac users and from what little saw of it in action looks easy enough, have heard a few things missing but still good. there is an o8 version is coming out, couldn't find much on that and think this might be fit for the new mac intel processors.
  8. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

I;ve heard that imorting your QB info from the Windows version is hit or miss. I've heard that it is not very stable because it is simply a port of the windows version. I use the automated bill pay in Windows QB and love it. Unfortunately, bill pay is one of the features missing. I've heard several other minor complaints as well. However, at his point it sounds like the best bet.
  9. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 LawnSite Member

I've had macs for 6 years, but a pc has always run my business. I would like to change that. I guess I'm asking the same question as Blink74