Anyone using a BG Stihl Blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grateful11, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

Since I had my Handheld blower stolen I need to get a new handheld. I picked up a new Stihl book and they have a new blower series that's different from the old BG 75. They are very light and the BG 85 is rated at 183 mph and 459 cfms and only 9lbs. The owners wife said she's had one since last fall and said it the best handheld she's used. Any comments. Also he had Stihl BR320's for $299 that didn't sound bad but it's not even rated as high as the BG 85. I don't do a tremendous amount of blowing, mostly drives and sidewalks, but right now I'm trying to make do with my old Ryobi click-link blower now that's rough!

Here's a link: http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BG85.html

Thanks Grateful

2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Hey Gratefull,

Those are the two blowers I have (bg 85 and br 320)

I LOVE THEM!

I paid 275.00 for my br320 and 189.95 for the 85 plus I bought the vacuum kit for 29.95 which Im also Im VERY glad I got!

I think they have a new blower/vac. that is just like the 85 except it comes with small blades on the fan to shred a little better and the bagger is included but otherwise is the same thing. it is called a SH85...Might check it out but if it is a bunch more money stick with the bg85 as it shreads pretty good even without those little cutters on the blade...

That blower/vac is in the 2000 catalog? If ya have the big catalog It should be in there.

If ya have any ?'s let me know I have my manuals for both machines right beside me..

Peace!

3. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a BG 85 in the spring of 2000. The unit was used daily for the entire season, and not (1) problem. As for the BR 300, I recommend the BR 400. For the extra $75.00-$100.00 it gives you much more power and a sprayer attachment. I have (2) BR 400's and one is (7) years old and still running!!

4. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I have the catalog and didn't realize that the SH 85 could blow until I read the description. They advertise it as a Vacuum/Shredder so you really have to look to see that the SH 55 includes the round blow nozzle only. I'm not sure if the SH 85 includes the the flat and round or not. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe I'll get a few more comments before tomorrow.
    Grateful

5. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Grateful11

I just purchased the BG65 handheld blower. I was at a open house and the Stihl rep had a demonstration area where
    he compared the 65 with Echo and Redmax. The Stihl results
    were so impressive I bought one and I really do not need one. The feel of the machine in the hand and the power really sold me.

I paid $149 for the BR65 and the BR85 was about $20 more.

6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Is the BR320 a hand held? $300 is a lot for any HH. My dealer sells the BP260 Echo BP for about @$260. It's only 14 lbs or so.

7. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Eslawns,

The br320 is a backpack and the bg85 is a hand held.

8. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Greatfull,
    I own a BG 75. It's 3 seasons old and still starts and runs fine. I also saw that they no longer make it. When this one dies I will buy the new BG 85 or whatever they have that compairs to my 75. I tried out the 85 and really liked it. I would buy one.
    Good Luck,
    Mowman

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a BG-75. It works quite well. A friend of mine bought a new BG-65 and it seems like it won't run at full speed. Theres only one adjustment screw on the carb. and thats the mixture screw. He doesn't like the blower.

10. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

i have a br400, its great. i have an FC-75 and FS-85, they are great. im slightly interested in handblowers and i have a comment about the engine. the nice thing about the BG-75 is that it has the same engine as my trimmer and edger. The engine in the BG-85, when sthil puts it in trimmers isn't rated for pro use. also even though the BG-75 has less velocity and volume it has 1.2 bhp and the BG-85 has 1.06 hp, i'd like to hear from a stihl expert about there oppinions on this.