1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a curved spike aeration?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fishinpa, Apr 22, 2006.

1. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I came across a link here a few month back which led me over to www.landscapemanagement.net, which in-turn got me over www.athleticturf.net .

Once there I was overwhelmed buy how MANY different ways there are to aerate. I guess it's the "build a better mouse-trap" theory at work. My curiosity got the best of me when I started reading about the curved spike aeration. I liked that it breaks the surface and then as the spike rotates into the earth, the curve in the spike "supposedly" puts force sideways to break the soil tension where the spike does not make direct contact. I'm thinking the potential here could be better than pulling plugs?

Anyone have any personal experience with this type of aeration to share? I was also contemplating that seeding immediately after this type aeration could be pretty effective???
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds more like a way to do some serious damage to existing turf to me. think about it....if its curved going in, it will be curved the opposite coming out, ripping out a channel, if you will, into the turf. if its sod, with the netting, you could theoretically rip out large chunks of turf.
  3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

The type of aeration you are talking about has been around for years. It is called a spoon or renovating tine. Ryan had it on the original Lawnaires back in the early 70s. The tine rips a hole in the ground and pulls up a clod of soil rather than a shaped plug. It does fracture the side of the holes and tears some roots so you are getting good aeration action and holes. The problem comes when you have Thatch. It will not cut a 360 degree hole in the thatch and remove the thatch. It will cut like a 180 in the thatch creating a flap of thatch that flips back and covers the hole. This also will cut off the air and water transfer you are trying to get from aeration.

When there is not a thatch problem this is an excellent method of aeration especially for overseeding due to the size and nature of the hole it makes. Weight is another issue..It takes less weight than coring tines but it still takes some serious wieght to push the tines down.
  4. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Well I definately don't have a thatch problem, and I see Sears is now carring a "micro" version of this as a pull behind attachment... I believe they said it was an agri-fab made product. I may have to give this some serious consideration.