Anyone using a grasshopper 428D, with the kubota diesel.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Dec 22, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: im in the market for a new ride on and have heard good things about the grasshopper 428D, and was curiuos to your reactions. thanks for your input , tony
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Do you mean 928D?
  3. General Grounds

:blob3: no i meant the 428D, midmount ztr.
  4. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

We don't have a 428 but do have a 321 and love it. It has amazing torque and just sips fuel. It is not only more economical in fuel consumption but you can burn off-road fuel which is another savings.

We demoed the 428D but opted for the 321D for this year cause they had a real special going at the for the show on the 321D. We do plan to get a 428D probably year after next.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a 428D. This was my third season with it. It has been a fantastic machine. I have the 72" deck, and let me tell you, this thing will just not bog down. I have even used it as a brush hog to mow some fields. It also holds hillsides really well. I mow a long berm at a landfill that is really steep. I mow sidehill across the slope. It is so steep that the uphill front castor wheel is off of the ground a lot. However, the machine does not slide downhill, nor do you ever feel like it will turn over. The cut is very nice, but on real uneven ground, you can get some side to side rocking on the big 72" deck.
    In heavy mowing conditions, it will use about .5gal./hr. I have about 700hrs on mine, (these are really tough hrs.), and it has been troublefree. I have two friends that bought them after trying mine, and they like theirs also. Can not say enough good things about the 428D.:D
  6. General Grounds

:blob3: guys thanks for the input, its always good to hear it from those usein the machine.

1 more ?, how is the quality of cut??

thanks again for all your time and have a merry xmas. tony
  7. finmower

finmower LawnSite Member

We got very good results for mowing hills and slopes with 428.
    We have 26 inc tractor lug rear tires for good traction, 61 inc
    deck. We add front weight kit, because we had same broblem
    than Mowingman, front tires did not touch ground upphill.
    This was first season, 400 hours troblefree mowing.

8. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

i almost bought a 428d/61 a few months ago. been using a 325/61 and a 225/52. i'd opt for a 61" deck in grashopper though. a friend of mine drives a 72" 428d and says that the big deck is too much weight for the mower. i think the same after i tried it. i got a scag turf tiger with a 61" deck and it has a wider stance than the 61 or 72" hopper, and it does handle alot better than the grasshopper. the 300 and 400 series are very close machines. the engines are the real difference in them. but i think grashopper's l/c 61" models will match up to the performance and reliabilty of any of the compettion. the 72" is just a little too much deck for the mower if you ask me, but the 400 series do have some serious power though. grasshopper and scag have been the machines to me. i haven't owned an exmark yet, but i might someday!