Anyone using a Hustler Shortcut?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by WLLD, Jun 11, 2003.

1. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

I am thinking about another machine for the business and am considering a smaller machine. Either a 44" or 48" inch deck. I currently have a 48" Scag WB, 52" Scag Turf Tiger and a Hustler Super Z 60". Thinking about a Shortcut or a Super Mini Z. I need a smaller machine my wife can handle on small lawns (she is too small to run our 48" Scag walk behind). I am not sure if the height of the Shortcut will be a factor in getting under obstacles in lawns. Any input would be appreciated on these units.

Thanks,
    Shayne

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Shayne,
    A 44" or 52" Mini Z or Super Mini Z would fit the application.
    You ride nice and low in the seat and they handle hills excellent.
    You will also have your choice of engines, Kawasaki 19hp, 23hp or 25hp or Honda 24hp.
    They wil also take the same style catcher you are already using on your Super Z (different blower and mounting assembly)
    All the same great features your Super has also.
    I believe it is a great choice to go with your 60" Super.
    E-mail me @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com if you have any more questions.

Later
    Pj

3. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a Short Cut 48 in with 25hp Kohler.

Yes she will sit high when going under tree branches
    If she gets the grass catcher, she will not have the strength to pull the lever when there is 130 lbs of clippings in there.
    She will not be able to pull the deck lever to the up position to change over deck height adjustments.

The plus side.

If you get the Short Cut with the "Upper Cut" and not the side discharge, you get trimming on both sides of the deck.
    Don't get this mower with anyting but the Upper Cut Deck.

The Upper Cut Deck produces great vacumn and chushing power. You will not get this kind of power in such a small space with any other mower. No big tubes coming off the side of the deck, no second motors. It can be a pain if it clogs. The first time the tunnel clogs you will spend 15 minutes unclogging it. By you fifth clog you will do it in under 4 minutes. It will clog in the wet, if you run the grass catcher when lawn is dry and you stay at full power, it will never clog.

I run mine bagless until fall. The force coming out the back will leave less clumps than anyting else.

Leaf pickup is very good. 24 to 1 reduction. I'm in New England and it gets thick up hear in the fall. You will get a solid 4 minutes of heavy leaf pickup before you need to dump. Yea, other guys get more but look at the small footprint of the Short Cut, It takes up less room than my Ferris Walk Behind.

The T bar steering will be easy for a woman.

Wish list:

A break I can get to if the enine shuts off on a hill. Its trailer brakes are useless except for transport.

Ground speed is up to 9 mph. It will not cut well a 9mph.. 10% of the grass will pop up after a 5 minute look behind. It can only cut up to 4 mph.. I see blade runner claiming 15mph cutting speed on one model. I doubt this is true on good lawn with early morning dew. Dry summer burnt grass, maybe? If there is a mower out there that can cut well fertalized, sprinkler kept lawn before summer at 15 or even 10mph, then you will soon hate your ShortCut... It cuts well at walking speed only.

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Blair I cut at full speed and have had no problems. I have the side DC deck with the mulch kit bolted it. I run the regular high lift blades and it does just fine. Except for the engine issue I am happy. Also I have the 54. I would like to say to anyone out there that is interested in the Shorcut, you better get it while you can. Spoke with a rep that was in my area today and the Shortcut will be no more due to GD expanding their patent.

5. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

Cajun,

I guess I finding out that that the Upper Cut Deck, like I have is dependant on how fast the Upper Deck can process the clippings out of there. So looks like your side shoot may work out better for speed cutting and throwing the clippins out of the main deck. Just got this "processing issue" from Mowerconsultant, and it makes sense. Thing I got to figure out is the Upper Deck can take anywhere from 2, 4 ,6 or 8 blades. I'm guessing 8 blades processes the throw out faster but until I hear back, the 8 blade set up might restrict the throw. Regardless I love the upper deck for the fall leaves the small foot print of the 1500. Smaller yard leaf pickup and dual side trim, it's hard to beat for those conditions.

6. cajuncutter

I am not DCing I am mulching. Only have 3 blades and they are the standard high lift blades. I have heard that the gator blades for my set up are really useless till fall time. As far as the clippings are concerned it does really well. Only problem I have is if I come to a stopping point and have to back up to either turn around or go around something then it will clump, nothing the redmax can not take care of. All in all if you keep going in the forward motion the DC deck with the mulch kit/ baffels do really well, even at full speed ahead.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

FWIW, you may want consider decreasing the amount of credibility you give your rep...........by a lot.

8. cajuncutter

I assume the guy knew what he was talking about. All I know is 2 guys cruising through different parts of the south in F350's hauling 20 or so foot trailers with Hustler plastered all over them with pictures of Super Z's as well told me this info. They said Shortcut was no longer in production because GD expanded their patent on their machine which would not allow Hustler to build a unit that you could both stand and sit on. He told me the Hustler had the option to buy rights to build such a machine or just quit making it, I was informed Hustler did not want to spend the bucks to do so. Just passing the info along. Perhapse PJ could clear this up.

9. blairbuc

blairbuc LawnSite Member
    from CT

Cajun

you are correct, the ShortCut will soon be history per Lonny at Hustler. Little mower that does a great job of getting in and out of small spaces weither for storing on on the field.

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It was the "other" stand on mower company, not GD.

Later
    Pj