Anyone using a Paver Block Splitter

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Parksman, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Parksman

Parksman LawnSite Member
    from TN

We have always used a wet saw to cut our pavers and retaining wall block. I recently read an article about brick paver splitters and retaining block splitters.

Do any of you have experience with these devices and if so would you recommend them? Are they a good replacement and/or supplement to a saw?

Thanks for the help.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

They are certainly not a saw replacement. We do use it ALL the time though for splitting corners/end block, splitting caps, etc. It's one tool I wouldn't do without.

Chris

3. Parksman

Parksman LawnSite Member
    from TN

Is there a brand and model you would recommend?

4. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

They sell specialty hammers now that you can whack the side of a wall block and "tumble" it. I used one at MAHTS and it actually worked, didn't look like you hit it with a hammer and/or chisel. It was like $100 bux but they wouldn't sell it to me, but you can order them from Bon Tools. Those guillotines run like $1300.00 don;t they? I just buy corners for now.

5. cgland

We have the pave tech one. It will split up to an 8" block as well as caps or bullnose.

Chris

6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of our first wall tools, the Montolit block splitter. Heavy and brutal! The newer ones are hydraulic.

montolit-univerzal.jpg

7. cgland

Champion - We had that exact unit and I thought it was kinda crappy. The arm below the tube is so thin and flimsy and the adjustment knob is very slow going.

Chris

8. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

We avoied buying a splitter because of the cost, but I broke down this week and bought one. A 1000.00 dollars and a few kicks in the butt for waiting. I may wear it out this week.

9. Parksman

Parksman LawnSite Member
    from TN

What did you buy? Has anyone ever used a splitter called a Kracker Brick Paver Block Splitter? It is a hydraulic splitter and can be seen on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2mLPeeIrrk.

It shows that you can get it at constructioncomplete.com but I can't find it on their website to get a price on it. If any of you have used it or one like it, I would appreciate your feedback.

10. cgland

I've used that model and it was OK. The nice thing about it was the adjustment from size to size was pretty quick. A couple of pins and you're ready to go. I just didn't like how it split.

Chris