Anyone using a propane set-up? Advantages?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by retrodog, Feb 1, 2008.

1. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, is there anyone using a propane ste-up on your mower? What are the advantages and dissadvantages? I just got the news, and Bad Boy is offering a propane set-up on their lightning as an option with the 32hp Vanguard. I am always for trying something new, so could anyone fill me in. Cost breakdown etc?

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

disadvantages...can't fill up at just any service station. Advantages: very fuel efficient, longer oil change intervals due to minimal carbon buildup in engine, cleaner emissions, and a longer engine life.

3. retrodog

Would it be worth it to get the new set up for me?

4. tb8100

from TX

Did you look at the Lightning that Envirogard had on display at the dealer meeting (or have you seen one at all?). One thing you would need to have is a propane tank on the trailer. They're really not priced bad at all for what they are. That big block Vanguard is an amazing engine in the gasoline form. I haven't run a propane mower personally, but there's an ISD in Austin running some 14 of these I believe with great success. They're saving big bucks every year on fuel. The key is having a 250 or 500gal tank or two at your shop so you can get your 'pane at a better price.

I imagine they'll have diesel-esque longevity.

5. Hunter73

Hunter73 LawnSite Member

I replied to your PM.

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i heard from some fishing buddies that propane went sky high this year. almost doubles from last year

7. tb8100

from TX

Yeah, your savings will definitely depend on the cost of 'pane in your area.

8. retrodog

its around $3.00 a gallon, but does it burn the same way as gas? Sorry I have no idea about propane, I just have to get 3 new machines this year for some contracts I got, and was considering getting one just to try. Wouldn't be a big deal to run by the propane place to fill up, just wonder if it would be worth it to pay extra for.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard they don't have as much torque. BTW, you can convert any Kohler engine to LP or rather any engine. They're also quieter and can run indoors.

10. tb8100

from TX

$3/gal at what quantity? You can bet as you go into the summer, 'pane gets cheaper as folks aren't using it heat. Gas also is higher, and this summer, gas is predicted to hit record highs in areas where they're using ethanol gas due to an additive used to ****** evaporation of the ethanol. They're saying somewhere in the ballpark of $4.00/gal.

Envirogard worked with Bad Boy to design this mower as they have with Ferris, Encore, and others. I haven't run one personally, but in my experience with 'pane, it burns very hot and very thoroughly.

Envirogard claims its tanks are good for 7 hours apiece, for a total of 14 hours running time. I wish I had firsthand experience to back this up, but I don't doubt it's the case. If you haven't looked at it already, check out EnviroGard's site and don't forget to check out the FAQ:

http://www.onyxsolutions.com/p.php?PID=lawnmower

I think you'll see short term savings on fuel, but more longterm savings on longevity (like a diesel, but at a better price).