anyone using a stihl power scythe?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gcbailey, May 16, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I've been thinking about adding either a FS 130 or FS 250 and getting the power scythe attachment. Has anyone had much experience with one? Thoughts?

2. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I have one for my Kombi. Very heavy but works good. I don't use it much just because it is heavy.

3. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I bought the 135 degree hedge trimmer gear box for my FS90 this spring. While I was talking to the dealer, I asked about the scythe because it looks identical to the hedger except for length of the cutting blade/bar, and he said basically it is. I have thought about trying my hedger head on my 90 or 250 to do some really long stuff at one place I mow. It seems that the weight would be easier to deal with in a mowing application than hedging with it. The cutting should be the same though, so I can't see buying the scythe too.

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

yes, the short version... We have a couple properties with looooong driveways and banks above and below that are about 8' in height... something like that seems like it would be perfect to trim along them.

6. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I have the first one at the top FH-KM 135. I guess it is the short one. I have used it maybe 5 times in 5 years. Yes it is a nice tool for many things but, you know, I am just a little old guyits way too heavy to use for more than 15 minutes at a time.