Lawn Care Forum banner

Anyone using bad boy mowers here?

7K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  retrodog 
#1 ·
What do you like/dislike about them? they seem like a well built machine, low on price or/high on value ;) Theyre stuff does 14-15mph vs 10-12mph for most other brands, has huge fuel tanks, big decks and high hp engines.

Im looking for a 32hp+ 72" deck ztr soon, I really want the Ferris is3100z with suspension but theyre around $10,600 .. Ive seen other stuff from Gravely/bad boy thats diesel even for similar prices, or 32-35hp gas equivalents to the 3100z for much less.:confused:

#5 ·
Bad Boys users are quite happy with them... Do a search and you'll find why...

#6 ·
Ramair, I'm a dealer for Bad Boy mowers. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you.

In response to a previous poster, Bad Boy has been around for over 9 years and they're not going anywhere. They updated alot of their mowers for 2008 and didn't raise the prices one cent. All of us dealers were floored.

#7 ·
I demoed one this past year for a week! It was a 72" with the 32hp B&S engine on it! I for the most part use Dixie Choppers in a 72" and the Bad Boy dealer was and still is wanting my buisness! Here is my impressions of the machine!

Heavy machine it is too heavy for normal yards. in wet grass it tends to leave a rutting pattern.

Cut is ok nothing special about it. No real stripping at all!

Hillside is about like the dixie but I was not as comfortable, probably because I have not run it near as much as a chopper.

Suspension is ok but it gets in the way in the front castors I could not trim near as close with it. The ride was not really any better than what I use currently.

Speed was pretty close to the chopper but not mowing I had to slow it down to get a clean cut.

Price not anything special there at least the price I got was within a few dollars of what I use now.

Build is simple design It is obvious that they have done some copying but so does everyone else.

Warranty! Very POOR in comparison!

Would I buy one? I am not saying that I would not but for now probably not! Because it is not a step up from what I am useing it has not price advantage and is atleast here not a proven product! Also the Dixie dealer I deal with just blows the others away with service!

#9 ·
I demoed one this past year for a week! It was a 72" with the 32hp B&S engine on it! I for the most part use Dixie Choppers in a 72" and the Bad Boy dealer was and still is wanting my buisness! Here is my impressions of the machine!

Heavy machine it is too heavy for normal yards. in wet grass it tends to leave a rutting pattern.

Cut is ok nothing special about it. No real stripping at all!

Hillside is about like the dixie but I was not as comfortable, probably because I have not run it near as much as a chopper.

Suspension is ok but it gets in the way in the front castors I could not trim near as close with it. The ride was not really any better than what I use currently.

Speed was pretty close to the chopper but not mowing I had to slow it down to get a clean cut.

Price not anything special there at least the price I got was within a few dollars of what I use now.

Build is simple design It is obvious that they have done some copying but so does everyone else.

Warranty! Very POOR in comparison!

Would I buy one? I am not saying that I would not but for now probably not! Because it is not a step up from what I am useing it has not price advantage and is atleast here not a proven product! Also the Dixie dealer I deal with just blows the others away with service!
Monte, what mowers are you comparing the Bad Boy to as far as weight goes? Scag, Hustler, and Exmark are right around the 1200-1300# mark, while the Bad Boy is under 1200#...

The striping quality depends on a number of variables. Most folks I've talked to are fine with the striping quality. Best way to find out is demo one to see how it works with the grass in your area.

I'm trying to figure out how the front suspension gets in the way (I read your post before when you originally demoed it). The overall width on the 72" cut mowers is 72.5", and the decks have a near 1/2" reinforcing bumper around the bottom. It's not sticking out any farther than the side of the deck...

I doubt the Dixie comes close in price. What price were you quoted on the Bad Boy compared to the Dixie? (and are you getting special pricing on your Dixies because you've been running them awhile?)

As far as the warranty goes, look at the money you save on the Bad Boy. If you want a longer warranty, extended warranties are available. I will say right now out of all the local LCOs running Bad Boy, the only ones that have come back for warranty work are the ones that bought the $5000 units and are abusing them (and even they have only had minor issues). Not a peep one from those that spent $6000+ on a Pup, Lightning, or AOS, unless it was to get new blades.

Sorry for another debate thread, but there is so much misinformation about the Bad Boy Mowers that somebody needs to come in and clean up. I understand brand preference, and if you just love your Dixie, Scag, Exmark, Hustler, etc, that's fine. Don't go making things up about another mower just because you prefer a different brand. It's just ridiculous some of the stuff people say about the Bad Boy Mowers on here.

Ramair, demo any of the Bad boys with suspension. You will fall in love with them for sure! Either of the Cat diesels are great choices, and another favorite is the big block Vanguard engine specs. There's an available 35hp model on the AOS platform as well for alot less than the diesels.

#11 ·
I tell you what when I get back this evening I will give you more details in pricing and the trimming and other comparisons! Also since I am heading to the Dixie dealer today I will get a new 08 price on a 72" It may very well be much diffrent than 07!
Look forward to seeing the Dixie pricing. :usflag:

#13 ·
Ok here we go!

The reason for the comment on trimming is with the wide front forks on the suspension in a tight corner they get hung up or hit when you turn the mower it could be that I am just not use to it but I had it for a week and in some apt. complexes were there is a ton of trimming it cost me some time!

Weight I do not know were there bad boy is getting its weight fiqures must be a bad scale! That machine is definetly heavier than the dixie's that I am using.

Stripping just cutting normal fescue same thing I cut with the Dixie.

Priceing I was quoted today for a XT3372 new 08 model $9499!
The Bad Boy I went and priced it to why I was in town it was $8799!

That for me is less than one days use on the Dixie!

I will have to go back and read the post because I cannot remember everything.

#14 ·
Well I am not trying to bad mouth the bad boy I think it is a pretty good machine but I think all the manufactures build pretty good machines these days at least in the commercial series! All I did was post on here why I did not buy one! Just my opinion and everyone has there own! That is why this is a great web site! By the way I have run a TT it is a good machine as well!

#15 ·
The reason for the comment on trimming is with the wide front forks on the suspension in a tight corner they get hung up or hit when you turn the mower it could be that I am just not use to it but I had it for a week and in some apt. complexes were there is a ton of trimming it cost me some time!
It just takes a little getting used to. The front forks are wider (and stronger) than normal non-suspension forks. They don't stick out any wider than the deck though.

Weight I do not know were there bad boy is getting its weight fiqures must be a bad scale! That machine is definetly heavier than the dixie's that I am using.
I have yet to find a Dixie spec sheet that includes the weight. Not sure why they don't post the weight, when every other manufacturer does nearly.

Priceing I was quoted today for a XT3372 new 08 model $9499!
The Bad Boy I went and priced it to why I was in town it was $8799!

That for me is less than one days use on the Dixie!

I will have to go back and read the post because I cannot remember everything.
I'm looking at the 3372 on their website... no suspension seat or rear suspension. The suspension seat is standard on all models at and above Bad Boy's $7500 machine and optional on all lower end units. If you're running a 72", size probably isn't too much of an issue, but the overall width and length on the Bad Boy lower by several inches. Also, the electric deck lift is standard on the Bad Boy at that price. Did that $9500 price include the optional electric deck lift?

BTW, for $9500, you should have looked at the AOS with the 35hp big block Vanguard. It holds 18 gallons of fuel and comes standard with all the things the Lightning comes with plus full front and rear rubber bumpers.

Not bashing the performance or quality of the Dixie as I'm sure they're top notch, but you sure don't get as much for the money. I like the look of the tires on the Dixie though. How do they handle/wear? Do you run the optional steering dampeners on your Dixies?

#16 ·
The Dixie comes with a Gee Ride seat which is there version of a suspension seat! The rear tires are an atv carcase tire that only uses 5psi in them it is just like suspension without having to worry about shocks.

The electric lift is optional but I do not want it and if I was to buy a bad boy I would have to have a manual foot lift! How much extra for that option?

The Dixie has an Mulch Plate standard is one available for the bad boy? How much?

I will have to call the dealer tommorrow to find out the weight!

#17 ·
Foot assist is $179.00 and mulch kit is $200.00
The foot assist is an addition to the standard electric deck lift system and is not used to set the deck height but to instantly raise it to pass over curbs and other obstacles.
The mulch kit is a set of 3 plates and mounting hardware.
I have both and they are great options to have.

#19 ·
Monte, Bad Boy recommends the Advanced Chute System, though I've seen other OCDCs on Bad Boys. They run around the same price tag as a full-blown mulch kit. I like how Bad Boy makes that optional, as they do with a ROPS and other features that not everybody wants.

#20 ·
The Bad Boy mulch kit works great, I used it to mulch a full coverage of wet leaves and almost nothing left after only one pass. :)
I don't care to bag and I can use standard blades with great results :cool2:

#24 ·
Hey tb8100, how does the Badboy suspension compare to the Ferris spring suspension? Also, why doesn't Badboy have more than a one year warranty?
It seems silly that a company who believes their brand is the best does not stand behind it with a 2 year warranty that seems to be industry standard.

#25 ·
Who at "Bad Boy" Mowers has time to work out a decent warranty program for their customers (of which I have yet to meet)?? They are way too busy gathering up redneck celebrity sponsors from the NASCAR and country music scenes! It also takes a ton of time to base your entire marketing plan on edgy, "tough" product descriptions, using words like bark, bite, chew- oh and my favorite phrase, "double dog dare ya!" Warranty? Who Cares?! The real question is where can we fit more doggie logos and diamond plating on our "value" mowers?

And we need to update the website- MORE HOT CHICKS draped across the mowers with the flames!! Oh forget having them sit on the mowers, we'll just put pictures of girls up for the Hell of it! That'll attract a wise, professional customer base who is honestly concerned with product specs. Oh, and at our next trade show, lets play the ear-piercing rock music a little louder and up our neon and light displays by 45% Oh, and did we mention more girls and celebrities??

Guys, be sure to check out our obnoxious, gimmicky, inflatable dog at your next trade show stop! You can't miss it- we actually have to rent out special floor space to fit it in there- Oh well, anything to distract the customer away from the fine points of our "affordable," "BAD***" mower lines... A quick note- we almost forgot to mention that we have been named the Official Mower of ultimate fighting! The rings will be transitioned into turfgrass and we will be mowing the surface at 28 mph between each cage fight!! HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!! oh yes, and there will be plenty of neon, rock music and HOT CHICKS at those events as well.

#26 ·
Hey tb8100, how does the Badboy suspension compare to the Ferris spring suspension? Also, why doesn't Badboy have more than a one year warranty?
It seems silly that a company who believes their brand is the best does not stand behind it with a 2 year warranty that seems to be industry standard.
I'll be honest, I haven't A/Bed them. I do know that A/Bing a Pup and then a Lightning with suspension, there's a world of a difference. Some of that is in the Michigan seat that comes on the Lightnings. I can tell you this, the rubber compression shocks are MUCH cheaper than a Ferris, if they ever even go out (never had to work on Bad Boy suspension thus far and haven't heard of it failing either). Probably a sub-$500 fix. What's Ferris suspension cost? $1500?

On the warranty, it's all part of the value. I understand the principle behind keeping up with the industry standard on the warranty, but also look at the money you're saving over other mowers. Ask your dealer about an extended warranty from a company like Failsafe. You can get warranty coverage up to like 5 years for just a few hundred more. Bad Boy has a number of innovations, but it's hallmark is the bang for the buck (while retaining stellar quality). Take the money you save and buy an extended warranty! :usflag:

How many mower companies upped their prices for 2008? Bad Boy didn't raise the price one cent, but they did update their $4500-$5500 models from 10 gallon fuel tanks to 14.5gal tanks, and now use ZT2800 transaxles on those models, up from lower-end IZTs they used before. That to me is impressive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.