Anyone using battery pack hand held equipment?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by Myk, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

Hey guys, we are a Lawn & Landscape company in business over 10 years. We run all gas powered equipment (string, hedge trimmers, blowers, chainsaws ect.) We never used battery landscape equipment before and are curious of anyone's input that does. I'm not looking for an argument that gas is better believe me I really think gas is better in some areas other areas I'm willing to check out the battery equipment.
    What I'm looking at doing is purchasing one brand of battery pack equipment so we stick with one set of batteries so if we expand out into more battery equipment we already have the juice for it. Our plan is to invest in just a hedge trimmer to see if this is worth it to us, if it is we will then invest in other equipment as needed. The ones that have stuck out to me have been GreenWorks and Husquvarna.. I'm sure there is plenty more out there that's why I'm asking, but looking for commercial grade that does a great job and good battery life with all its equipment.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've just got a little B & D hedge trimmer I keep in my truck tool box. Well that and my cell phone :)

Myk likes this.
  3. josh_kennon

josh_kennon LawnSite Member

lol no way battery equipment is for robots

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

been using echo and cobalt cordless tools for 2 years now. good for light duty, single operator crew. batteries won't make it through the day if tool is in constant use. not enough torque for anything but light jobs. have used 8 batteries in a single day at times. I do like the electric tools, quiet and no fumes, but in a hurry the gas versions get used.

Myk likes this.
  5. Tim F

Tim F LawnSite Member

I use echo battery powered equipment mower, trimmer, and blower, when conditions are dry. I use gas when wet are heavy duty jobs. I would say 70% battery operated during the year. Need 6 58v 4. Ah batteries to get through the day.

Myk likes this.
  6. HortGuy1

HortGuy1 LawnSite Member

Greenworks has an 80volt line that works well, lithium batteries so they run full throttle until they are dead. You won't get much more than an hour of run time out of a battery, but the instant start in cold weather, adjustable speed, and not worrying about some ding-dong using straight gas instead of mix is nice.

Myk and Tim F like this.