1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using chaps?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bull, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Do any of you wear chaps while trimming? I am thinking about getting some before the season starts and wondered what are your thoughts. I like to wear shorts but the trimming becomes a mess especially when it is still wet or working around areas with grit or rocks.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Only for chainsaw work. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually using them for trimming before although I know they make ones for that.
  3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Not for trimming , but we keep snake chaps in the truck for some of those thick brush clearing jobs.
  4. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

Never used them for trimming but always for chainsaws. I saw a guy put a saw into his leg with chaps on and it stopped the chain immediately. I was sold.
  5. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I got a set from W.E. Chaps last spring. I love them I wear shorts all summer
    they work real good they get a little hot at times but they keep the grass out of your shoes and stones that hit your legs don't hurt or cut you open. I won't trim or edge without them.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I won't even start a chain saw without mine on. In my company, if I see a employee start a saw without the chaps and helmet, discipline starts with a severe ass chewing. I have seen way too many people injured for a John Wayne attitude with a saw.
    With regards to hand trimming, no. I have installed the Edgit guides and additional protection hasn't become necessary.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

yes a few times i will wear them
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I ordered arm chaps from them, because i always burn my arm on the mufflers. they shipped it real quick. nice people there.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I always wear jeans and boots when I'm mowing and trimming. I could never bring myself to wear shorts while working.
  10. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

As said before, I ordered some from WE Chaps too for summer, wearing jeans all day in 100 degree heat sucks. It takes ten seconds to put them on and off and being able to wear shorts, there is no comparision.