Anyone using excel for accounting

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by The landscaper, Sep 22, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

curious to see if anyone has made there own little accounting spreadsheets up. seems like it would be better to design something exactly to fit your needs and also you would know exactly how to use it since it was your design.

2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using excel for now it worked pretty good while I was part time
    but since june Ive went full time into the business and now more than 45 clients I need something a little better for record keeping billing and invoices
    route schedules not to mention I plan on expanding next spring so I will need help w/ payroll and other things
    when I have time to learn some of these programs

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I use excel, always have. If someone will tell me how ill put my excel sheet up. I tried but it said "invalid file type".

4. Ant_Knee

Ant_Knee LawnSite Member

take it from a previous auditor with a big four Accounting firm, switch to an accounting software like Quickbooks at a time when it's easier to do the books (and easier to learn a new system) then trying to wait until the time comes when you have to convert.

Additionally ,unless you know accounting and know how to properly record every transaction you will end up paying out the wazoo to have an accountant (CPA) try and sort through what you have and then attest to either your return or financial statements.

HTH.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Quickbooks, thank you i for got what it was called. I have been wanting to take a look at that! Thanks!

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I could not imagin keeping my books with anything else than QB

7. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

is Q B design for any accounting or can it be used in the landscaping business
    how does it compare to gopher and other landscaping software designs ?
    just considering my options