Anyone using Gravely's New Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNT LawnCare Inc., Jun 27, 2007.

1. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I know its just a Dane but is anyone using them,or have you Taken a Demo?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Local dealer doesn't even carry them and says they won't order one for me to demo unless I buy it before hand. What a crock of $#*&. I would really like one if they offered a 36 or a 44.

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea thats strange for them to get into the market with no 36 ?

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

How on earth can you expect a dealer to buy a mower just so you can take it out and play with it. Your dealer has to pay for that mower after a while if it is not sold. Would you go mow someones lawn for free just so they can see if they like your work, with no assurance they will ever pay you for the work, or hire you on a regular basis? I bet not.
    Why don't you ask your dealer if the Gravely territory rep. has a demo machine he can let the dealer have for a day or two. Most of the reps. have a stand-up machine in their demo fleet.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Why doesn't the dealer get the demo for him from his rep??? sounds like a loser dealer to me. Go get one from a dealer that wants to sell the mower.

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

reps can supply demos, especially if they want to sell stuff. That's how they get paid!!!

I have a demo.

As far as 36 in decks.......I think the real answer is patents. Everyone knows the standers/auburn pattern battle .

Will be interesting to see. I think Gravely has a contract with auburn to build these standers for 7 years. My rep told me it was mentioned that Gravely had looked, and may still be actively looking into buying auburn out. They were in some financial trouble but have reorganized since.

I was also told by my Gravely Rep, and the Great Dane rep that next season, Gravely had some changes coming to these machines. Right now, I believe they are exact to Dane.

I cut with my demo, a 1952, and a 2352 stander side by side a couple weeks ago. I plowed through grass 2 feet tall and i really didn't notice the difference between the two as far a power. Ran them both on a real steep slope. First part of the slope, neither of them would would go up, it was way to steep. Moved over a bit to a more reasonable pitch. I thought they both handled well going up and down the hill. Going side to side, I though the Gravely was a bit better. The stander spun the tires a couple times trying to turn. Maybe because of the longer wheel base on the Gravely? I thought the cut was equally as good. Could tell where one stopped and the other started.

My only opinion is this. We've only sold fixed deck units. We dont' sell Stander but we service quite a few. All fixed deck units. If I were to buy one, I think the floating deck would be the way to go. I can see it being a better overall fit. My only question is how the added weight would affect hills.

7. John Gamba

from ct

Theses type mowers are very heavy with the rider and the rear tires are not that big. Do theses rut faster then a rider with bigger tires??

8. Mowingman

from Texas

From what I have seen here during our ongoing monsoon season, I would say that the stander-type machines rut worse than similar size ZTR's. My mowing crew has only missed one day of work this year, and that was due to too much standing water to mow. We even mowed the day after we got 6" of rain in 2.5 hours. We are running 61" midmount Grasshoppers with the big low-pressure tires. I have a couple of friendly competitors who run 48" and 52" Wright standers. They have been pretty much shut down for the last 3 or 4 weeks due to wet conditions. Their machines cause too many ruts and can not be used in the current conditions.
    They are trying to keep going using belt-drive walkbehinds. However, those are even rutting up the lawns due to the small tire size on them. So, I think your observation is generally correct.

9. John Gamba

from ct

This is what i see:cry:

Happy 4th Mowingman:waving:

10. Mowingman

from Texas

Hope you have a great 4th also John.