1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Maruyama products?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TOOLSHACK, Jan 30, 2008.

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Is anyone using any Maruyama products? Trimmers, Brushcutters, Blowers, Sprayers, etc....

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with Maruyama?
  2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I tried a trimmer and extended reach hedge trimmer and took both back. The trimmer was a 25cc trimmer, had no power, the hedge trimmer, would run great until you shut it off then would not start again until it cooled off. That was just my experience. Others have had great experiences with them. In my opinion, there is better equipment out there.
  3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned some before. Very well built engines and durable. Overall Maruyama has changed hands so much it has fell to the wayside. It's hard to find a dealer who'll carry them anymore. Getting parts can be an ordeal. Too many issues regarding service and support that they are no longer on anyone's radar screen as a potential purchase.

On top of that, overall they are generally heavy and not very refined. The best thing about them is their older super HD hedge trimmer gearbox and blades that were almost indestructible. Heavy in weight but super tough IMO.
  4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

no dealers! good product
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a split shaft with trimmer and saw attachment. I think it is 29 or bigger cc engine. Cold starting but great machine. Alittle heavy if your running the trimmer all day but a good product.
  6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Maruyame have 2 catagories of products, commercial and extended commercial. We have to be careful when comparing. It is like you don't take the Home Pro Stihl and do commercial work, break down and claim Stihl sucks!!!

I am actually interested in the 30.2cc hand held blower. It has the most powerful 2 cycle engine of all hand held. It uses a CER300 engine that is tier 3 compliances, 300hours emmision. Anyone have opinion on this?

7. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I haven't liked mine. It works, but is under powered (not sure on the model- I'd have to look). Getting parts (as stated above) is an ordeal, but on the plus side I bought a Stihl while I was waiting for a part (for 4 weeks) and have been very happy with it. I'd personally go with stihl, or shidaiwa is similar to maruyama and I've used them before- not bad.
  8. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I have some trimmers that are close to 10yrs old and still go to work! They are very good but until you get them broke in which takes forever they are underpowered! It took me over a year to get my trimmers to get it! They have done a lot of dist. changes but so has redmax and tanaka around here! I actually looked at some new ones today the dealer that I bought mine from years ago is back with them! One big thing with them is they use a chrome impregnated cylinder instead of chrome plated that is one of the reasons why they take so long to break in but that is also why they last like they do!
  9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

What is the difference between chrome impregnated vs plated? I am eyeing on either the hedge trimmer or multi tool with the hedge clipper attachment. I like the 30cc CER300 engine. Both are tier 3 without cat muffler.
  10. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Well it is kind of like comparing a poulan chainsaw cylinder to a Dolmar or Jonsered cylinder the poulan if used hard is usually dead in 2yrs or less and the Dolmar is just getting broke in 2yrs latter!