Anyone using Mesa Fert. would like feedback

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf&tree, Feb 22, 2009.

1. turf&tree

turf&tree LawnSite Member

I recently sat in on a seminar, and one of the speakers was from Lebanon turf.
    He was pitching a product called Mesa. I have read everything I can get my hands on about it and it sounds great. Just wondering if anyone had any comments on it. Davey lawncare is supposed to be using it and cutting down to 3 apps for their customers. Seems like a bad business decision to delete an app.$$$$ I would welcome your comments.

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Mesa fertilizer here in the Midwest. It keeps the lawns greener longer and they don't dry out as fast in the Summer. Compared to SCU it is totaly different chemistry.

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent product. Better color, longer lasting, better turf health.

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

MESA has revolutionized my program. Lasts longer, better color, more efficient so you can use less product than SCU. The mowers love it too, since there's no peaks and valleys in growth. Very consistent release. The quick release part is ammonium sulphate which give awesome color, but since the slow release product is Meth. urea that releases on soil temp., summer apps. are where I use this. I use convential poly coat until Memorial Day or first part of June, and again after Labor Day. I also use the 15-2-5 MESA with Merit...another great product.

5. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Not if you get paid for a "season program"... If you can charge the same rate, get equal or better results, and do less work you would be coming out considerable $$ ahead!

6. turf&tree

Thanks for the input. I am going to order it this week.

7. EBHC

EBHC LawnSite Member

I have used Mesa as well with very good results. I tested it on my own lawn last season. Heavy clay soils, sodded 3 years ago, no irrigation. What I have found is a deeper greener color that lasts longer. No surge growth.

So my questions to the LCO's is if your going to use it, what kind of rates of N and how many apps per season?
    And what kind of prices are you seeing in your area for a bag?

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

1 lbN/M x 5 applications per year. But that's for hybrid bermuda which is a high N user down south. $21.96/bag for 19-0-19 w/62% MESA and SOP.

Breathtaking color, excellent turf health throughout the season.

9. turf&tree

EB, don't have the specs in front of me on N. I can tell you pricing. 16-0-8 w barracade right around $20 per bag @ 14,500 coverage. 3/4 lb N 32-0-6 $ 19.00 bag @ 16,000 coverage. 1lb N
    25-0-5 w/iron$ 20.00 @ 12,500 coverage.1Lb N I am just north of you in Cleve. We get it from Turfgrass Inc. Hope that helps

10. EBHC

EBHC LawnSite Member

Turf & Tree, thanks!. I'm supposed to have my pricing Monday from Turfgrass. I'll be curious to see how it compares. Is Turfgrass your only supplier of Mesa?