Anyone using "non-zero" tailswing mini's?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Mar 15, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Well, word has gotten around town that the fat man (that's me) is shopping for a larger mini. Thankfully, I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet and quite honestly, I am enjoying the attention AND the free lunches.

The Gehl dealer is coming at me hard with their 603 model (12,500 lbs and a digging depth of 13' 7") and I am really impressed with all of the numbers both financially and performance wise...but it has an 18" overhang. Kicks a$$ in every aspect but I am having a tough time getting by the tailswing. Now Gehl also has a 753Z which IS zero tailswing, but it may come in 15-20k more, but the machine also weighs in at 17,000 lbs and a dig depth of 14'2". Do I need anything that big, not really, but it sure would be nice to have in a zero tailswing package, all at 2.9% financing for 60 months...after letting me rent it for 6 months with 100% of rent going to the purchase price if I buy it. If I don't, I simply turn it in.

How many of you guys, if any, use machines that have a traditional tailswing?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are doing alot of work where your working in very tight spaces the zero tailswing is needed. Personally I would rather have a conventional swing machine I don't want to need to be getting that close to a sidewall of a house or trees.

3. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

The company i work for has an older i think k030 or something like that kubota mini and it hangs over a ways. If you just watch what you are doing and use the boom swing you can really get anywhere and do just about anything a ZTS machine can.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree. If you can say that a conv. machine will do anything a zero tail will than you don't do much tight excavation. After going to a zero tail on this last machine I will never go back to conv. machine. There is no reason to. You don't lose lifting performance going zero tail why would anyone want to limit themselves with a conv. machine. The whole purpose behind a mini ex is working in confined areas. The other issue would be resale. The fact is that the market is moving away from conv. machines or at least moving toward zero tail and zero swing. Takeuchi will soon be releasing a side to side boom for their 7500 pound (TB135) class machine. If it were me I would go with a zero tail but thats me.

5. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I wasnt saying that ZTS isnt necessary just that you can get by without it most of the time. I spent a lot of time on a zero tail yanmar before this kubota and i prefer the zero tail.

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I am:laugh:

7. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

I have a Bobcat 430 zero house swing 4 ton and a 328 conventional 3 ton. The 430 is easier to work in tight spaces than the 328 bacause of the zero swing. I totally agree with ksss. Market is going zero tailswing. Take a look at all the larger machines adopting this feature. We are getting rid of the 3 ton and getting another 4 ton zhs.
    Pawnshop-have you looked at a Bobcat 442? 16000 lb, dig depth 13'11", true zero tailswing with articulating boom. A guy by me bought one and he loves it.

8. Yard Solutions

Yard Solutions LawnSite Member

I looked at a 331 and 430 (bobcat), and was told that I will loss some lift strength when reached out when using the 430 (ZHS). Is this true, because I like the zero tail swing and larger blade it has up front.

9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

U do give up a little with a zt. Some times shorter arm length, Over the side power in some cases, Added counter weight too (They make u think otherwise):dizzy:

10. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

Did they say this would happen over the blade or over the side? Of course you're not going to lift the same over the side as over the blade, no machine does. I even have the extra long arm option and a thumb which adds some weight (there is an additional counterweight added with the long arm). Take it for a spin and check out it's abilities for yourself, then you'll see.