Anyone using roll off containers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bull, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have been wanting to buy a dump trailer but the more I think about it I have been thinking of buying a trailer with the roll off containers on them. Something around 16 foot so that I could use it for soil, mulch and convert it into a trailer to load leaves in during the fall. I could also drop a container off for a rental and dumping fee for someone to clean out a basement of for a construction site cleanup. Has anyone taken this approach and what are the pros and cons? The containers are not all that expensive.

2. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

I have been looking at the same thing, based on my resherch so far the trailer units have some problems picking up the heavy loads. The people i have talked to said they are great if your the only one useing them, they said it makes life really easy not haveing to clean one container out to be able to move another material. but if you thinking on renting the bins out to help pay for the unit every one i have talked to said to get a truck unit. people especialy contractors like to put all kinds of crap in them. Im looking at a kodiak tandem, way bigger than i need for landscaping but Ive been doing some checking on pricing and i can make about 65 on delevery and 65 on pick up on my containers. and I all ready have a good contractor base that i landscape for so i figure i should be able to keep all the bins that i buy busey and there for paying for the truck, at least thats the plan good luck

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Spend $10-$12,000 and get a 26-33k GVW truck to go under the system vs the trailer.

4. suzuki4life

suzuki4life LawnSite Member

yea, ive seen contractors throw EVERYTHING in there. Ive even seem guys throwing concrete and huge rocks in there. The large truck would be a good option plus you never know what else you could use it for

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don’t forget you going to need a heavy-duty truck to tow that trailer loaded.
    If you tow it with a light duty truck you could bake those brakes.:drinkup:

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure about trailers, but I wouldn't be without our hooklift. It's an all round versatile truck from a flatbed, container, spreader, or box truck with the flick of a switch.

7. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I can't comment on the trailers (I hate dump trailers)

But I'm thinking of selling my F550 and buying a roll off with on trux system.

8. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

I'm all for the truck and hook or frame roll-offs. I've owned a Bri-Mar dump trailer for the past nine years. I'm a building contractor so the trailer has been used for everything from construction debris to to hot asphalt for patching road crossings. Dump trailers are very picky as to how the load they're they are carrying is distributed. A little to much weight behind the rear axle and it's a sway box. Of course, I'm talking about the deck-over models. The roll-off trailers I've seen, seem to be great for an evenly loaded can but loading and hauling a tail heavy must be an experience.

The last 5 years I've pulled the dump trailer with my '03 GMC 2500HD with the bigblock / Allison combo. Which is a beast with a hunger for fuel. Due to rising fuel costs I'm moving to a Switch-n-Go on a older 2001 Isuzu FRR 6 speed chassis. Then dumping the 2500 for a lighter daily driver. The FRR at 18,000 gvw should suit my needs by moving my mini-ex and skid steer, keeping my sites clean and moving my enclosed trailer.

I'm another vote for x-ing the dump trailer and saving for a multi-use vehicle........can ya tell......??

Just my 2 cents

9. NLS1

NLS1 LawnSite Member

How is the Bucks unit? Obviously the cost is a lot less then a STELLAR or Swaploader hooklift, but the real advantage seems to be weight. It looks as though it is way lighter which is nice for extra capacity. I don't know about the cable idea, looks like it is a pain compared to the hooks? Anyone have one? Reliable,etc?

10. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We run a couple of Stellar Hooks, like this one. Its on a 4wd 550- the other is on an Isuzu NQR cab forward. Both work great with containers, flatbeds and even and enclosed box. The can shown in this picture can be picked up by our large tandem axle roll of with a cable if necessary as well. There are advantages to either system. One of my tenants has the Bucks system. It works well for him. With the hook system you have more control of the containers on and of because the hook pushes them. With the stellar you get a great dump angle compared to some. With the cable, gravity pulls the body down. So, whatever you can imagine might happen, such as increased angle need to get the container moving, when one side hits on uneven ground the container may hop the rails, etc.

With a trailer, I can imagine that the whole event is a little shaky on rough terrain. There are times that you use the container to push or pull the truck, or straighten out as you pick a can. This might be compounded by the action of the trailer especially in mud or as I mention rough ground.

Ford550B.jpg