1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Using Smaller Trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt Mow's, Oct 18, 2011.

1. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the older grey 210 is much better than the 225. The 210 starts easier and more balanced. I keep an out on craigs list looking for any 210s in decent shape. I would buy as many as I could but I cant find them. I have since started buying husqavarna as I have been replacing hand helds.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Husqvarna has some really nice small trimmers...the 223, 323 and 326. I bought a 323 last season and I love it. It's really light, has good power, starts easy and is ready to work right away. The weight and balance of the thing is really great.
  3. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I use an Echo SRM230 and its very good on fuel and does a great job for weekly maintenance and I'm sure it could handle bi-weekly maintenance as well.
  4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

What does your weekly maintenance consist of?

5. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't see the point of a monster trimmer for just your typical grass trimming and edging. I usually use a 22.5 and sometimes a 21.1 cc trimmer. I like light trimmers.

Now, when I got to trim a lot or something on my farm, I am gonna break out a t270 Shindaiwa or a Redmax with a high torque gearbox. That is about all the power I need.
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Some guys just can't get past the mine is bigger than yours complex. Don't worry, when carpal tunnel sets in, ANY trimmer will feel too big.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We run 230's. We have a 225 which never gets used because none of us like the balance.
  8. WillsLandscape

WillsLandscape LawnSite Member

I really only use my SRM-3100 on like cutting back 2 foot tall brush next to the fence and stuff like that, I have an Echo SRM-2601 (25.4 CC) for just the usual stuff. I also have a Stihl FS-90R that I really only bought to replace the 2601 because it was 28 cc but only $10 more than a 25.4 cc Echo, so I saw some good savings there.
  9. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Echo srm225 and I also like the Stihl fs70r but I don't like the Sthil heads the 225 has the u turn or the speed feed heads and is much better then the Stihl heads. All of our heavy trimmers never get used. Nobody wants to lugg around the big trimmers.
  10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Good to know. Had to break down and buy another SRM-230 last season. I almost bought a 225 but the fuel.economy of the 230 is notable over the 210 and torque curve is fatter.

I heard a bit of grousing about problems with the 225.

I edge vertically with my 230 and I find the balance to be near ideal.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013